Radion G5 - Kessil AP9X - CoralCare Gen2 or..

Radion G5 - Kessil AP9X - CoralCare Gen2 or.

• Radion G5

Votes: 15 30.0%
  • Kessil AP9X

Votes: 21 42.0%
  • CoralCare Gen

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • other

Votes: 2 4.0%

• Total voters

drukkosz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please help me decide. I am building new setup, Planet Aquarium 150G 5x2x2 and cannot decide on lighting.
I have a mix reef but mostly LPS, Its important for the lights to be quiet and I and easy to set up, I am not good at setting all those points etc.

build thread here:

I know all those are great but what would you get?

thank you

BlennyTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have radions over my tank and have been satisfied. They are pretty easy to set up these days with the new Mobius app.

AcanthurusRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Multiple Kessil 360s or XR15 Pro. As a former owner of the AP700 I would not buy its replacement.

joe berkman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im planning xr15's and orphek blue plus light bars for my new build. That combo offers alot of par and broad blue spectrum for the buck. And i like that they both like to be hung high over the tank.

U

User1

View Badges
Please help me decide. I am building new setup, Planet Aquarium 150G 5x2x2 and cannot decide on lighting.
I have a mix reef but mostly LPS, Its important for the lights to be quiet and I and easy to set up, I am not good at setting all those points etc.

build thread here:

I know all those are great but what would you get?

thank you

If you want easy to install, setup, and above all quiet then there is only one right answer. That would be the new Coral Care by Philips. No fan. Passive cooling. Flat panel design. Integrated power supply which means no power brick and a single cord. You said you keep mostly LPS tank although it will be perfectly fine for growing SPS regardless of what anyone says. Probably the best spread and coverage out of the lights you listed. Two channels to dial in rather than others.

That is about as unbiased as I can get. Based on your requirement above I believe that light would be best or idea. I did not review your build thread so not sure how you are hanging / mounting lighting. Having said that as others said any of those lights will work though. Kessil would be the next light that meets quiet. Why I say that compared to the G5 is that there are enough threads out there that say the fan is loud on it. Not sure since I don't own one just want I read so you can easily search on that.

Kessil has a nice shimmer. Small form factor. Great support should you need it. Wide spread by a 130 degree optic. Can narrow that down with a lens to 90 and increase par. More flexible mounting height. I own 4 of them and like them.

I do not own Radions so can't speak on them.

OP
OP
drukkosz

drukkosz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want easy to install, setup, and above all quiet then there is only one right answer. That would be the new Coral Care by Philips. No fan. Passive cooling. Flat panel design. Integrated power supply which means no power brick and a single cord. You said you keep mostly LPS tank although it will be perfectly fine for growing SPS regardless of what anyone says. Probably the best spread and coverage out of the lights you listed. Two channels to dial in rather than others.

That is about as unbiased as I can get. Based on your requirement above I believe that light would be best or idea. I did not review your build thread so not sure how you are hanging / mounting lighting. Having said that as others said any of those lights will work though. Kessil would be the next light that meets quiet. Why I say that compared to the G5 is that there are enough threads out there that say the fan is loud on it. Not sure since I don't own one just want I read so you can easily search on that.

Kessil has a nice shimmer. Small form factor. Great support should you need it. Wide spread by a 130 degree optic. Can narrow that down with a lens to 90 and increase par. More flexible mounting height. I own 4 of them and like them.

I do not own Radions so can't speak on them.

I did also read about the fan noise on G5. Coral Care sound like a very good option I just wish there were already available and some more advance users can test them.
As far as mounting I think I will use the arms I will not have a canopy (rimless tank)

Thank you for your opinion.

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a pair of the 360x's with LSP and they respond very well to the lighting. I've always used Radions but really like that you just set your intensity and the color to your liking.

Chibils

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wholly agreed with @saf1 . Based on your requirements the CoralCare is the right choice for you. No fans or moving parts, one power cord, great coverage, dead easy to adjust (a color slider and an intensity slider). imo it's the simplest LED fixture on the market right now, and that's a good thing. Do be aware though that it's designed around a "12,000K" look, with whites and blues at 100%. If you go turning the white way down you'll lose a lot of par. Should still be plenty for LPS.

There are several threads with early adopters and advance testers using these lights. I'll see if I can track some down for you.

Chibils

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

AcanthurusRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whats wrong with AP700?
I have posted this many times.
These small companies see shiny IoT objects and jump on the bandwagon with no clue how difficult it is to support a phone app. The AP700s did not get timely updates. The did not reliably.

U

User1

View Badges
I have posted this many times.
These small companies see shiny IoT objects and jump on the bandwagon with no clue how difficult it is to support a phone app. The AP700s did not get timely updates. The did not reliably.

Kessil is not a small company per say. Somewhat new to aquarium lighting but they have a lot of experience elsewhere.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stand by the coral care recommendation. Bigger company, near flawless reviews from the previous generation, and you just frankly don’t need the 500+ par radions can put out for an lps tank. Not knocking the company, I’ve just never really been the biggest fan of kessils.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 94 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back