Radion G5 - Kessil AP9X - CoralCare Gen2 or..

Radion G5 - Kessil AP9X - CoralCare Gen2 or.

• Radion G5

Votes: 15 30.0%
  • Kessil AP9X

Votes: 21 42.0%
  • CoralCare Gen

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • other

Votes: 2 4.0%

• Total voters

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As a Kessil user and former AP700 owner, I would avoid it solely based on software alone. It's an awesome light, but too many issues that will never get addressed. The new AP9x is a completely different light than the AP700 and the failures of the AP700 have been addressed with the AP9x. I did a one on one zoom with Kessil before the light was released and I talked to them about the 700's issues and failures. They acknowledged the issues with the 700 and had those in mind when they designed the new light. I really like the new AP9x, but I like the smaller form factor of the 360x. It allows me to position the light exactly where I want it, without worrying about the other puck. Kessil is a division of DiCon, which has been manufacturing led's, fiber optics, etc for a long time. They are not a small company, like Phillips, they are a lighting company that also makes aquarium lights.
To be honest, you can't go wrong with any of the lights you listed. It really comes down to aesthetics, form factor and mounting options (and noise).
I got rid of my two AP700's and replaced them with six 360x's and Orphek blue plus bars. I went for complete coverage for my sps dominant tank.
25B4FAFC-85A6-4AA8-8A24-8A056381244C.jpeg

Crappy pic of my setup.

U

User1

View Badges
Btw, the coral care would be the only other LED for my sole light source if I had a choice of not having Kessil's. Of course the new ATI LED fixture looks promising, but I'm sure it's not cheap.

I tend to agree. If I was to replace my lighting I would strongly consider the coral care 2's. They have a really nice design and the integrated power supply means less bricks laying around or taking up mounting space.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back