Radion G5 shipping/boxing issues

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually this is not 100% true. I do agree with you on some idea that the manufactures pay them to do but the quality control that they dont have. The products make in CHINA are cheap or poorly made and imported even you spend on good premium material but they just dont have that material to make it. Look in general anythings made in CHINA just dont have life spend on their products.
Let’s prey that recent worldly issues will remind us we need to be making a lot back at home. We are kind of helpless when it comes to relying on other countries for our stuff.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As previously said, the packing isn’t the issue. The torque drivers are tightening the screws too much. An issue that should’ve been caught long before they were shipped. Sorry but this is an issue with products bought on pre order that the manufacturer struggles with putting out quickly. Nothing good ever happens fast in this hobby.

Hypan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screw and counter sink don't really match.
Poor design.

Yeah, I am curious to see the design of the under body of the cover around the screws.

The thickness bosses and supports around the screws, the type and thickness of plastic, screw body/thread profile and torque are all considerations when designing a molded frame like this.

There is definitely an issue here. Could be in the torque settings, could be in the mold, could be raw materials. Hopefully Ecotech is already on it and their engineers can resolve this quickly.

DTz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all 3 of my xr15s have all the screws area cracked. looks like pretty high pct

Nubbie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BIG warning to all. Even if you G5s don't come in cracked, still continue to check them. I'm having a ton of issues with my G5s, but at least mine didn't arrive cracked. I just checked the lights after they turned off and realize they all now have 2 stress cracks per screw in each of the corners. $800+ lights falling apart after less than a month of use.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I submitted photos to ETM over a month ago, and replacement parts were going to be sent out but Covid-19 put a hold on a that.

After speaking on the phone last Friday with Mike Melnyk and again on Monday with Tim Donschietz, they assured me that the replaced parts would be asap. Tim actually said they had shipping people working.
So I think this usually stellar customer service we are used to. Seems like he just told me what I wanted to hear and isn't worried about telling me a lie.

OP
OP
jwilliams860

jwilliams860

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
After speaking on the phone last Friday with Mike Melnyk and again on Monday with Tim Donschietz, they assured me that the replaced parts would be asap. Tim actually said they had shipping people working.
So I think this usually stellar customer service we are used to. Seems like he just told me what I wanted to hear and isn't worried about telling me a lie.
Yea the customer service is great. When I first submitted it was early on and Pennsylvania had just shut down.

m88a2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, i had just convinced myself to budget for some g5 xr15's for my upcoming build...looks like I gotta do some more research again

OP
OP
jwilliams860

jwilliams860

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Man, i had just convinced myself to budget for some g5 xr15's for my upcoming build...looks like I gotta do some more research again
The light is solid. They have sent replacement parts for the ones with issues

m88a2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess the reports of wide spread damaged housing and less than ideal packaging had me questioning quality. I'm not purchasing parts for several months so I'll just follow how the issues develop/resolve. Other than those 2 issues, are you satisfied with the overall quality and customer service?

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess the reports of wide spread damaged housing and less than ideal packaging had me questioning quality. I'm not purchasing parts for several months so I'll just follow how the issues develop/resolve. Other than those 2 issues, are you satisfied with the overall quality and customer service?

Ecotech customer service is always pretty great when you are under warranty, which all of these issues fall under. It’s just a bummer so many issues got through QC, whether with Versa, G5 Radion, etc.

If you aren’t purchasing for a few months, the Mobius connectivity issues should be resolved as well.

That said..... the Philips CoralCare fixtures are going to be released soon, and they are absolutely something to look into. I’ve yet to ever hear something negative about ReeFi either.

Last edited:

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad I was broke when these lights rolled out :oops:
So sorry about the issues you guys are having.
I'm hearing about replacement parts being sent out, does that mean you will have to take apart the light and install it into the new housing yourself? I would probably demand out-right replacement if I were in your collective shoes.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'm glad I was broke when these lights rolled out :oops:
So sorry about the issues you guys are having.
I'm hearing about replacement parts being sent out, does that mean you will have to take apart the light and install it into the new housing yourself? I would probably demand out-right replacement if I were in your collective shoes.
Installing the new cases yourself is what is expected.
What surprises me is everybody's willingness to pay $840 for a product, and then be happy about having to repair it.
On the other hand you could probably send your lights in and wait until there is somebody there to fix it.
If they can't get parts shipped out in a timely manner, then getting something fixed could take months more.

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Installing the new cases yourself is what is expected.
What surprises me is everybody's willingness to pay $840 for a product, and then be happy about having to repair it.
On the other hand you could probably send your lights in and wait until there is somebody there to fix it.
If they can't get parts shipped out in a timely manner, then getting something fixed could take months more.
That surprises me as well. Either way it sucks for the end consumer.
Do better Ecotech.

Back