Radion light took a dive!

J.selfmade

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was doing a tank transfer and To my surprise I noticed my Ecotech Radion xr30w pro g4 light went for a swim. Any advice or similar experiences?

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never had it happen to myself, but you can try and put in in rice to absorb and moisture. Also, have you removed the bezel to see if any water got inside and then put it in rice?

OP
OP
J.selfmade

J.selfmade

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never had it happen to myself, but you can try and put in in rice to absorb and moisture. Also, have you removed the bezel to see if any water got inside and then put it in rice?

i sat it in front of the fan for about 24hrs I thought about doing the rice process

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like with any electronic that goes for a swim, disassemble as much as possible, pat dry as much as possible, place in rice to remove the remaining moisture. It can appear dry and still short out due to moisture so a rice bath IMHO is a must.

When done plug back in to a gfci outlet from a safe distance and pray. Goodluck.

OP
OP
J.selfmade

J.selfmade

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like with any electronic that goes for a swim, disassemble as much as possible, pat dry as much as possible, place in rice to remove the remaining moisture. It can appear dry and still short out due to moisture so a rice bath IMHO is a must.

When done plug back in to a gfci outlet from a safe distance and pray. Goodluck.

yea I’m guessing this rice bath is a must

will424

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rice is a total myth and that goes with trying to use it for any electronic device that’s water damaged because once the water gets in and shorts it, rice can’t undo that. Best thing is to take it apart, take the whole board out get some isopropyl alcohol 90% or higher and a tooth brush scrub the whole board down with it , it will clean corrosion if there is any.

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need to get the salt off the electronics, just drying it won't cut it as the humidity will eventually cause electronic issues with salt residual.

GabeM

King of... something.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rice is a total myth and that goes with trying to use it for any electronic device that’s water damaged because once the water gets in and shorts it, rice can’t undo that. Best thing is to take it apart, take the whole board out get some isopropyl alcohol 90% or higher and a tooth brush scrub the whole board down with it , it will clean corrosion if there is any.
This is the correct answer - I soldered under a microscope for 2 years and alcohol is always the solution

Phildago

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alcohol is good, but it's a more immediate solution. Your best bet now would be to create a desiccant box and put disassembled fixture inside.

You can use Epsom salt as a desiccant. I attached some links. They are discussing drying foods for storage, but the concept is the same, just don't get salt in the light.

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another option
Capture+_2020-04-17-19-58-48.png

I've had good luck with these rescuing a water logged ps4. Placed both in a large zip lock and in just over 24hrs it had pulled out almost all of the water.

Drao05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happened to me before with two lights. One light survived but the other didn’t. Contacted Ecotech and they gave me a discount on a replacement.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best thing I have found for any electrical equipment that takes a plunge into salt water is doing an immediate thorough rinse with RO/DI water followed by air drying with a fan.. putting item in a bag of rice for a couple days afterward isn't a bad idea either. The longer you wait to rinse the less chance of survival of your electronic equipment. Never try to power up until 100% dry.

PPPPPP42

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the light comes apart I have seen this used to save a soaked laptop:
its available cheap at any auto part store and probably Walmart and it works nice because it gets into all the small places and blows stuff away.
if it doesn’t come apart AND isn’t waterproof it’s a crap design.
if the light was totally soaked inside with saltwater as odd as it sounds I would totally flush it out with heated distilled water to remove the majority of the salt crust first.
if it was powered or even plugged in when it went in then it may have instantly fried. If it hasn’t been powered since then there is a much better chance of saving it.

my Fluval sea led light bars are ip67 rated, hint hint EcoTech.

U

User1

View Badges

This is pretty much spot on.

Real life story here. Bad actor is me, the dad. Daughter is the good actor. I was working on my canopy and rearranging some lighting. At the time my lights consisted of 4 DIY multi channel arrays seated on a 6 x 4 heat sink with fan. I asked my daughter if she could help me out for a minute by holding some cables while I move a light. She said sure but needed a minute. I said ok, sure.

Well one thing lead to another and I got a bit impatient and attempted it on my own. By now I am sure you know where this is going but never the less up the ladder I go, reach in, grab a light, grab the cable, and then inch my hand holding the light to the clip to unlatch and remove. Almost had it but much to my surprise (no, I knew this would happen which is why I asked for help) it slipped and as I said GOSH DARNIT my daughter walks into the room to assist and saws DAD - what the heck - why didn't you wait...as we both look at it gently waving side to side as it hits the bottom of the tank with a puff of sand.

I sit there and just mumble, then go outside and kick a bush or two. My daughter (now if you are still with me is what we did to ours when this happened) fished out the light, put it in a towel, took it out to the garage, and dumped it into our RODI water storage container. Several times. I come back in and see her doing that and just sigh. As if one bath wasn't enough...

They key is rinsing off the saltwater. She read that rodi will work so we tried it and for us it did. Quick dips, whole unit, and then we gently wiped everything down. Light still works today. Granted in my case it was just the multi channel LED emitter and fan. Your unit also has the power supply or other components.

So to @will424 's point the only chance is to take it apart and use a brush as he suggested to remove all signs of saltwater. At this point you have nothing to lose since it is already at risk. That or call the manufacture and see what they will do to help.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 47 51.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.8%
Back