Radion lights for sps dominant tank

  • Thread starter Thread starter Makoto
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Makoto

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 13, 2024
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Location
New York
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 60x24x24 tank that I want to make sps dominant. I have been looking into radion lights, which i have never used before, and I’m not sure what the better option is. Would the XR30s be better or should i get XR15s?
 
I would look elsewhere. IMO radions are overhyped and over priced. Mobius kind of sucks too. I have three gen4 xr15s on a shelf becuase one time too many I woke up in the middle of the night with the lights on because mobius changed the date and time again. This has been an ongoing issue since mobius came out. It doesn't seem to effect everyone so the fan boys will deny it but search mobius time date issues and you'll see it's a real problem that has never been addressed. Also the gen 5 and 6 are weaker than the gen 4s and when I par tested my xr15s they couldn't hold a candle to the noopsyches as far as par output.
I run reefbreeders photons over my acro tank. I've also grown sps under noopsyche k7 V3 pros.
6 noopsyche lights for just over $1k on sale. I was getting 300 par on the bottom left where the two are closer together. I kept clams there.
PXL_20240222_233233684.jpg

Acro that grew on the back wall from a little frag
PXL_20240304_160823705~2.jpg


This tank is under the photons
PXL_20241128_014917749.jpg
 
If you must get Radions, you will need the XR30.

I run 3 Gen 4 XR30 Radions on my 200g and love them. I even have a spare Gen 4 in the closet because imo that's the best generation of radion. If they all die one day, I will switch to something else as new Radions are just way too overpriced. I got my used Gen 4s for $300 2 years ago.
 
I like the XR30's better and throw on some reef brites. Just my opinion and thats what I use
 
I have a 60x24x24 tank that I want to make sps dominant. I have been looking into radion lights, which i have never used before, and I’m not sure what the better option is. Would the XR30s be better or should i get XR15s?
You can use either one. The big concern here is to use enough of them to minimize shadowing and have high enough par for SPS dominant. It’s going to be expensive.

I would run T5 hybrid. A lot of people run LED bars with modular lights.

Before anyone else says it, take a look at ReeFi UNO.
 
With radions on that footprint I have 3x xr30 and would suggest the same. As others said, radions are way overpriced. Many other options. I regret buying mine on “sale”.
 
Just want to stop back in and show why I will never recommend radions. I'm sitting here looking one of my tanks and I notice my gsp isn't waving. Sure enough mobius has changed date and time again. I run reduced flow at night. This is why it can not be trusted, especially for lighting.
When I checked
Screenshot_20241128-160535.png

After syncing which I do not feel I should have to do on a regular basis
Screenshot_20241128-160602.png
 
Just want to stop back in and show why I will never recommend radions. I'm sitting here looking one of my tanks and I notice my gsp isn't waving. Sure enough mobius has changed date and time again. I run reduced flow at night. This is why it can not be trusted, especially for lighting.
When I checked
Screenshot_20241128-160535.png

After syncing which I do not feel I should have to do on a regular basis
Screenshot_20241128-160602.png
I’ve had this same exact problem with every single one of my XR15s and mobius suport claims that clock errors are normal and to just reset them... So definitely can’t recommend these lights to anyone.
 
I’ve had this same exact problem with every single one of my XR15s and mobius suport claims that clock errors are normal and to just reset them... So definitely can’t recommend these lights to anyone.
Normal to ecotech but not noopsyche, reefbreeders or Ai all of which I have running. To be fair tho I have heard of a similar issue with Ai tho I have not experienced it in 4-5 years of using a hydra 26hd. With mobius it has been an issue since release with no fix. That tells me they don't know what causes it, know but don't know how to correct it, or they don't care. All of which are uneceptable for the price they charge for the lights.
 
I have a 60x24x24 tank that I want to make sps dominant. I have been looking into radion lights, which i have never used before, and I’m not sure what the better option is. Would the XR30s be better or should i get XR15s?

Reefi uno 2.0 will be a lot better than radions.

I replaced my radions, if you want radions, buy used, not new. They are not worth the asking price of new!

Radions like to also turn on at 3am randomly and it's annoying.

If you want something mainstream with a fancy phone app... the orphek natura icons have been working smoothly for me unlike radions.

Radions need an complete overhaul in power, spectrum, and a whole new app and server to run it.
 
Update: Currently looking into the Reef flare Pro LED. It’s a much cheaper option and based on other posts, it can grow sps very well. Think i may get 2 medium sized ones.
 
Update: Currently looking into the Reef flare Pro LED. It’s a much cheaper option and based on other posts, it can grow sps very well. Think i may get 2 medium sized ones.
Those look nice. Curious to see how you like them in a few months
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 8 24.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new