Radion Pro4 X30 no bueno

Navymedic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK team, this light was working just fine last week but no longer getting power. The power brick is lit but I think that the light looks weak. My Gen 3s are working just fine.

This started after I did some work on my Apex and the WXM module went dead. I removed the Module and have instead directly plugged in the lights and let the Apex power the lights with the timer (which BTW I cannot confirm if they actually power on as I am never home in the afternoons). I have then taken the brick and plugged it directly to the wall and still no love.

Anyhoo I think the brick is bad (I hope its that and not the lights) and looking for a replacement.

and

Number 2- thinking I will use ecotech's application to use the lights as opposed to getting a new WXM module (Sorry Apex, but I am done with your crappy products)

Can anyone chime in with other possible fixes?

Happy reefing!
Mike

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt it's the power supply, although somewhat possible. Because (a) it's lit and (2) the light intensity doesn't go "weak" because the psu can't supply enough power. Do you get any color lights on the buttons of the fixture?

OP
OP
Navymedic

Navymedic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt it's the power supply, although somewhat possible. Because (a) it's lit and (2) the light intensity doesn't go "weak" because the psu can't supply enough power. Do you get any color lights on the buttons of the fixture?

Sorry- I was talking about the LED on the brick itself- That seems to be weaker than I remember. I get no power itself to the X30. I might try and swap the brick from one of my Gen 3's and see if that powers it. If so it will confirm that the brick is dead... I will have to try that tomorrow...

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry- I was talking about the LED on the brick itself- That seems to be weaker than I remember. I get no power itself to the X30. I might try and swap the brick from one of my Gen 3's and see if that powers it. If so it will confirm that the brick is dead... I will have to try that tomorrow...
Yes, sounds like a good plan. You can use the older radion PSU if the plug matches, just don't run the light at full intensity as the older psu won't have enough power to do so.

thedon986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Just looked at my gen4 bricks and the LEDs on them are definitely not bright, maybe that didn't change and you were just expecting they would be brighter? Sounds more like a LED driver problem.

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The brightness of the led indicator on the psu is irrelevant in this case, unless it goes completely out once you plug in the light.

OP
OP
Navymedic

Navymedic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, thats a good idea. I'll do that tomorrow as I am currently on a 24 shift.
OK checked the power supply and it is putting out 36 volts. I also swapped out power supplies and this one can light up my Gen 3 lamp. Conversely, I put my Gen 3 supply (also 36v) on the Gen 4 lamp and no love. I am thinking that the Gen 4 lamp is not working unless there is a way to power it otherwise. Perhaps a combination of pressing the buttons on top?

If no solution, then I have to see if I can get it repaired. Strange that the Gen 4 is having an issue and not the older Gen 3s...

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again, do you see any lights on the buttons of the fixture?

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be the fuse. You should be able to test the fuse with a multimeter. Or temporarily short it.
I'd also check the power connector inside to make sure it's fully inserted. The issue may still be on the main board though. I have plenty of videos repairing and disassembling XR30 lights.

OP
OP
Navymedic

Navymedic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be the fuse. You should be able to test the fuse with a multimeter. Or temporarily short it.
I'd also check the power connector inside to make sure it's fully inserted. The issue may still be on the main board though. I have plenty of videos repairing and disassembling XR30 lights.

Tomorrow I'll be on a 24 hour shift, will have to tackle the fuse on Tuesday. I guess I have to take this thing apart to access it...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back