Radion vs. Hydra 52

Which light would you suggest?

• Total voters

DontMakeNoSense

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just switched to radions about 2 months ago. I have an LPS dominated tank. I also run 2 mp10s as well along with the reeflink. By yhe end of the month you shoukd be abke to control you powerheds through ecosmart live. Is what is good about the Radions is you can buy a gen 1 or gen 2 and if its not the lighting your looking for uograge to a gen 3 or gen 3 pro. The pro runs 250 to upgrade. Thats what im thinking about doing.

OP
OP
frankm88

frankm88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd go hydra. Paired with the director = amazing

That is my exact issue...i know how the Hydra/director work together as my brother in law has it on his tank and only says good things about it but i like the sleek look of the radion and it seems to be most preferred...im trying to figure out the positives and negatives of both. I cant seem to find a mount for the Radion that i dont have to hang from the ceiling. AI has an L shaped mount that screws to the stand and the light mounts on it. Does anyone have the Radion mounted without hanging it from the ceiling?

SloppyJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of setting up a tank with the ext mount and a radion. My radion will be here this week and I will have to make a bracket to connect it to the ext rail. It's not going to be hard at all. Probably about $10 in parts from my local hardware store.

OP
OP
frankm88

frankm88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of setting up a tank with the ext mount and a radion. My radion will be here this week and I will have to make a bracket to connect it to the ext rail. It's not going to be hard at all. Probably about $10 in parts from my local hardware store.

I saw a DIY using electrical conduit which didnt look bad. I just think there should be a better solution for hanging a $750 light.

SloppyJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally agree. I hung my sol using conduit. It looks okay but not what I wanted for my new 93g build. I was hesitant to spend the money on the ext rail. But once it arrived, I saw how heavy duty it was and I was happy I made the purchase. I plan to fab a bracket up once I pick up my g3 pro at my LFS this weekend. I'll post pics when I get it mounted.

OP
OP
frankm88

frankm88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear ya...the AI mount looks good too i just wish Ecotech had something similar for the Radion...i look forward to seeing your setup hopefully ill have made up my mind by then

SloppyJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, If you like the AI rail and only have one vortech, why not go with the Hydra 52, EXT Rail, and Director. It will be cheaper than the radion anyway and you won't have to make any brackets if you're not into that kind of stuff.

DontMakeNoSense

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is my exact issue...i know how the Hydra/director work together as my brother in law has it on his tank and only says good things about it but i like the sleek look of the radion and it seems to be most preferred...im trying to figure out the positives and negatives of both. I cant seem to find a mount for the Radion that i dont have to hang from the ceiling. AI has an L shaped mount that screws to the stand and the light mounts on it. Does anyone have the Radion mounted without hanging it from the ceiling?

Heres an answer to your question. Reefkoi makes these and think it looks great. He will also make the to a custon length for you as well at no additional cost. Price ranges from 130 to 200 I think depending on the length you need. Im also cutting a piece of acrylic to go around the top edge as well.

Attachments

• 1395160152064.jpg
    1395160152064.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 1,231
OP
OP
frankm88

frankm88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres an answer to your question. Reefkoi makes these and think it looks great. He will also make the to a custon length for you as well at no additional cost. Price ranges from 130 to 200 I think depending on the length you need. Im also cutting a piece of acrylic to go around the top edge as well.
That mount isnt bad...I would prefer something that didnt mount on the edge of a tank as i have a rimless also and i feel it takes away from the look a little. Definitely an option though...(also im guessing youre cutting acrylic because you have suicidal fish jumping out also? haha)

DontMakeNoSense

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That mount isnt bad...I would prefer something that didnt mount on the edge of a tank as i have a rimless also and i feel it takes away from the look a little. Definitely an option though...(also im guessing youre cutting acrylic because you have suicidal fish jumping out also? haha)

No suicidal fish yet but looking to get some in stock I want. You could get the mounts made by aquaticlife that is a hanging kit as well. I just didnt like that look of the kit plus I wanted my light to be centered over the tank.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Does anyone have the Radion mounted without hanging it from the ceiling?

There are quite a few ways to do it.
I used 2" x 3/8" and 1" x 1/8" aluminum flat bar. Made two 45 degree bends and it attaches to the back of my stand.
For about a year, it was just brushed aluminum, but a few months ago I had it powder coated black.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
This one is pretty cool too.
I saw this posted here a month or two ago and can't find it, so I copied the picture from another forum where Aaron@6061 posted this picture.

OP
OP
frankm88

frankm88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one is pretty cool too.
I saw this posted here a month or two ago and can't find it, so I copied the picture from another forum where Aaron@6061 posted this picture.

I like that...Kind of looks like an IPad mount I used to have.

watdachuck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you get a lot of salt creep with that? i feel like the moisture would build up in there and the light would get condensation all in it.

I have cleaned the lenses once in nine months, and didn't have much to clean except a little dust. There is still about 10" between the lights and the water line.

Back