Radion XR15 Pro G3 (2014 model) vs AI Prime 16HD Reef. Which to get in 2023?

ncfalco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my price range I'm looking at a used Radion XR15 Pro Gen 3 (2014 model) for $170 or a brand new AI Prime 16HD for $250. The XR15 was top of the line brand new, but is now almost 10 years old. I'm wondering if the AI Prime 16HD Reef is now a better light. Any suggestions? Is the Radion XR15 Gen 3 still a good light in 2023?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my price range I'm looking at a used Radion XR15 Pro Gen 3 (2014 model) for $170 or a brand new AI Prime 16HD for $250. The XR15 was top of the line brand new, but is now almost 10 years old. I'm wondering if the AI Prime 16HD Reef is now a better light. Any suggestions? Is the Radion XR15 Gen 3 still a good light in 2023?
What size tank are you lighting? I’m sure there’s better options out there that aren’t past their prime.

OP
OP
ncfalco

ncfalco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so that's one vote for the G3. I'm seeing a lot of primes for sale with melted lens, so that is certainly a cause for concern if you're running them at 100%.

GatorGreg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should see how many tanks are running AI Primes. Some that might give yours a run for its money. Smaller tanks though…..I have primes and they’re not melting. There are successful tanks that have been running them for years.

for a 45 gallon though. I wouldn’t recommend.

I sure the heck wouldn’t recommend buying lights that are almost 10 years old just because……eco tech?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Troylee. It's a JBJ 45 Gallon AIO tank.
I mean if you’re willing to spend $250 on that Ai prime I’m sure you can find a g5 xr15 for the same price and it would be perfect for that tank.. I found 3 of them for $250 myself

OP
OP
ncfalco

ncfalco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should see how many tanks are running AI Primes. Some that might give yours a run for its money. Smaller tanks though…..I have primes and they’re not melting. There are successful tanks that have been running them for years.

for a 45 gallon though. I wouldn’t recommend.

I sure the heck wouldn’t recommend buying lights that are almost 10 years old just because……eco tech?
Okay good to know. Yeah I just figured that the lights were $500 new at the time, so may be very good quality at a bargain price of $170. Not sure how much lighting has improved since then since I'm new to saltwater aquarium lighting. You're probably right.

GatorGreg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not that it was a bad light. It’s just it’s 10 years old. The residue? The salt residue and dust and skin cells and all kinds of 10 years of whatever else? I’d save my money and buy once no matter what light you end up choosing. Lights are super hot topic on every forum as to what’s the best.

In my opinion if I was spending eco tech money I wouldn’t even consider eco tech. I’d buy Orphek or go with ATI T5s with reef brite or Orphek strips.

everyone is different and that’s ok

Trickman2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not that it was a bad light. It’s just it’s 10 years old. The residue? The salt residue and dust and skin cells and all kinds of 10 years of whatever else? I’d save my money and buy once no matter what light you end up choosing. Lights are super hot topic on every forum as to what’s the best.

In my opinion if I was spending eco tech money I wouldn’t even consider eco tech. I’d buy Orphek or go with ATI T5s with reef brite or Orphek strips.

everyone is different and that’s ok
T5's are awesome and will grow just about anything...Go look up some bulkreef supply lighting videos on youtube if you haven't. T5's are some of the oldest tech in lights and still work great.

Trickman2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a awesome light to start with for a JBJ 45. Can upgrade it with additional lights along the way.

GatorGreg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T5's are awesome and will grow just about anything...Go look up some bulkreef supply lighting videos on youtube if you haven't. T5's are some of the oldest tech in lights and still work great.
I couldn’t agree more.

I own the ATI 24” 8 bulb with two reef brite strips. It’s not in use though. It’s for my dream tank.

I dream smaller than most lol. It’s sad that my dream tank is a 60 cube lol

OP
OP
ncfalco

ncfalco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a awesome light to start with for a JBJ 45. Can upgrade it with additional lights along the way.

Nice so I could start with running T5 and then add an LED light down the road if necessary. Do you think that's a better route than just spending that $350 on a decent LED light from the beginning?

GatorGreg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice so I could start with running T5 and then add an LED light down the road if necessary. Do you think that's a better route than just spending that $350 on a decent LED light from the beginning?
This is going to be purely subjective and how you want to run your reef. As to say what’s better? That’s going to be opinions that will greatly vary

OP
OP
ncfalco

ncfalco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Trickman2 With a lot of the LED lights they have configurable morning and evening cycles that automatically adjust the brightness depending on the time of day. Is that possible if running T5? Is that even necessary?

Trickman2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T5's Just grow coral easily....It also gives you a place to mount things on. Decent LED is very very subjective and the prices get steep fast. I started with T5's over my 300 gallon by Aquatic Life.
It gave me a awesome place to hang my lights it grew corals good. My only complaint would be the electricity cost...in California. You could probably find a used unit and then just buy new bulbs. Down the line you can sell the unit for a decent amount.

GatorGreg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s reef breeders as well. I owned one. People knock it for the “disco ball” effect. But it’s a very powerful light that looks really nice spectrum and mounted on the tank. You’d be around 530 for that light to fit your tank

That’s the other thing. For any lighting option you have to consider mounting and that’s an extra cost.

the reef breeders comes with mounting included in the cost.

Trickman2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Trickman2 With a lot of the LED lights they have configurable morning and evening cycles that automatically adjust the brightness depending on the time of day. Is that possible if running T5? Is that even necessary?
No it isn't and they will have two power cords. Two bulbs each....Will give you lot's of color options and flexibility. Also on a 40 gallon the power won't be too bad.

They have dimmable models as well. T5's will grow corals easier for beginners in my opinion. Having a million options is not always better and you can burn corals, etc.
$270 Brand new - https://premiumaquatics.com/products/aquatic-life-g2-24-t5ho-hybrid-4-lamp-blk-decor-endcaps.html

For that tank a good set of new Leds is going to be easily in 700-1000 range once you get all the mounts and accessories. Lots of options and choices.
I am running two Philips CoralCare Gen2 LED now but I had run T5's for a long time and they did just as good of job as the Coralcares.

Last edited:

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 46 29.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 44 27.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 34.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.1%
Back