Radion XR30 Gen 5 Blue Programming

Rocketflyr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I finally took the plunge and got some radions, going from a Fowler to mixed reef mostly lps/sps. I selected the AB+ schedule but it’s really white and I don’t really like it.

I was wondering if anyone has any programs they have been running successfully. or if there is and adaption of the WWC schedule for the blues.

Rando

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am faced with the same problem and certainly many others too. the blue lamp is quite modest in its setting options. AB + and that's basically it .. everything else dismantles the spectrum. For my part, I regret buying it! My G4 Pro could have done it for a long time. There is no help from Ecotech. I have already written to you several times and asked how it works with the LEDs when you import program settings from a G5 Pro via Mobius for the Blue, whether that makes sense at all. Even, PHX14, LPS / Soft and Radiant Color don't really work with the Blue version .. kind of weird. Ecotech didn't think about that!

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two decades of enterprise IT experience and can build a data center in my sleep and provision all the servers according to application role.

The Ecotech color controls and interface are utterly hideous and gave me a headache as well. I can install a SQL server on VMware easier than tweak a blue channel on Mobius.

Ecotech has basically drank their own kool-aid and believes their pre programmed schedules are divine and shouldn't be subject to adjustment.

OP
OP
R

Rocketflyr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am faced with the same problem and certainly many others too. the blue lamp is quite modest in its setting options. AB + and that's basically it .. everything else dismantles the spectrum. For my part, I regret buying it! My G4 Pro could have done it for a long time. There is no help from Ecotech. I have already written to you several times and asked how it works with the LEDs when you import program settings from a G5 Pro via Mobius for the Blue, whether that makes sense at all. Even, PHX14, LPS / Soft and Radiant Color don't really work with the Blue version .. kind of weird. Ecotech didn't think about that!
Yah I honestly regret purchasing them they were so talked up I thought they would be better then the pros because of the “ease” of programming. It’s been torture that’s for sure

OP
OP
R

Rocketflyr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two decades of enterprise IT experience and can build a data center in my sleep and provision all the servers according to application role.

The Ecotech color controls and interface are utterly hideous and gave me a headache as well. I can install a SQL server on VMware easier than tweak a blue channel on Mobius.

Ecotech has basically drank their own kool-aid and believes their pre programmed schedules are divine and shouldn't be subject to adjustment.
They’ve been out for what a year or something why hasn’t echotech figured out diffrent programs they’ve sure gotten plenty of negative feed back to do so.

Rando

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’ve been out for what a year or something why hasn’t echotech figured out diffrent programs they’ve sure gotten plenty of negative feed back to do so.

because Ecotech is all about money. Two "great" lamps for the same price. Double the money

Mobius is so shabby and nothing is done about it by Ecotech!
I always read they are supposedly working on a huge update, but nothing happens! These were my last products of those .. the next lamp comes from ATI and is called .. Straton! As soon as they can deliver again, the order will be placed!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, actually. I never liked most of the G5 templates, either. Here is a Radion G5 Blue schedule I've been running for the past few months on a new Red Sea Reefer 750XXL that has seen good results with my mixed reef (mostly soft and LPS, but also some SPS). My G5 Blues are mounted via the standard RMS mounts which place them about 8" about the surface of the water. The Reefer 750XXL is 23.6" high, and none of my corals extend past 12-14" from the bottom of the tank (so there's at least 18-20" of empty water between the lights and where they touch the highest coral in my tank). A par meter is definitely suggested for fine-tuning.

This is a variation on the default Radiance template of the G5 Blue, because I didn't like the oversaturation of white during the day and the Radiance template doesn't actually include any moonlight setting (despite indicating it does). I also wanted a bit more of a fade-in and fade-out period before and after sunset, hence the 6:00am and 8:00pm settings.

I've since adjusted the schedule down from 50% to 45%. The yellow and blue shaded bars on the left are approximate sunrise and sunset.

Screen Shot 2021-08-23 at 11.44.26 PM.png

Thor2j

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would you by the blues if you want something other the AB+, that's the entire point.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would you by the blues if you want something other the AB+, that's the entire point.
Well, in my case my LFS only had the blues (not the pros) in-stock. They also use blues on their coral tanks and I really liked the look. And with a mixed reef (which is not SPS dominant), the AB+ setting really tends to wash everything out and isn’t very pleasing to the eye. I’m sure others have their own reasons, but those were mine.

ckozma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, in my case my LFS only had the blues (not the pros) in-stock. They also use blues on their coral tanks and I really liked the look. And with a mixed reef (which is not SPS dominant), the AB+ setting really tends to wash everything out and isn’t very pleasing to the eye. I’m sure others have their own reasons, but those were mine.
Buying a ~$800 light based on what the local store had in stock is a bad idea. I do like my G5 blues so I will stick up for them a little bit here, but EcoTech specifically states that light is made to run 100% on all channels with overall intensity tuned where you like it. They did not design that light for tuning. GET THE PROS IF YOU WANT TO TUNE.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buying a ~$800 light based on what the local store had in stock is a bad idea. I do like my G5 blues so I will stick up for them a little bit here, but EcoTech specifically states that light is made to run 100% on all channels with overall intensity tuned where you like it. They did not design that light for tuning. GET THE PROS IF YOU WANT TO TUNE.
There are a lot of bad ideas in this hobby, but going with the same lights that your LFS uses for their corals doesn’t seem like it would be at the top of the list. I suggest you re-read my original comment, as what they had in-stock wasn’t the sole determining criteria (I probably would’ve ended up with the blues anyway).

There are also probably thousands of owners who love their blue Radions, so I suspect i’m in good company. And I don’t see what the issue with tuning any light is. If they weren’t meant to be tweaked they wouldn’t have that option built-in...

sayurasem

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think most people that purchased the G5 Blue are under the impression of bluest light between Pro and Blue. I got the G5 Blue under that impression.

AB+ on the G5 Pro looks more blue than AB+ on the G5 Blue. I guess EcoTech can create “AB+ Spectrum” that looks completely different to the eyes.

I use lps/ softies setting on my G5 Blue, with the white channel turned down to 19%. You can turn down the white to 9% but the tank looks to “dark” for my taste.

Attachments

• 1FEBAEB4-D968-4B46-9451-8651FEB27963.png
    1FEBAEB4-D968-4B46-9451-8651FEB27963.png
    190.5 KB · Views: 125

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 32 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back