Radios Gen 5 to be realeased 2/17/20

nickkohrn

Corals for President 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate the pain of replacing T5 bulbs every 6 months
Why do you change them every six months? I just switched to T5s from Radions, and I was under the assumption that they don't need to be changed until they hit 15-18 months, based upon this BRStv Investigates video. Ryan makes his blanket statement starting at 07:57 into the video. I'm not making judgement of your actions; I'm simply curious because I see some hobbyists, like yourself, change them after 6-9 months, and some change them after 1.5-2 years.

So that info packet people keep linking to is no longer there.... I keep getting a 404 error
It seems that EcoTech decided to pull it from their site.

Still works for me. Must be your browser.
Your browser may have it cached. If you clear your cache, it will likely give you a 404.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Open with chrome ?

Attachments

• 02102020_Radion-G5-Launch-Packet.zip
    6.8 MB · Views: 173

nickkohrn

Corals for President 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope still works, even tried a different browser on a different computer.
Open with chrome ?

Strange. I get a 404 when attempting to open it in Chrome and Safari on my MacBook and my iPhone. I cleared all caches, so I'm not sure what's up with it. I already took a look at it earlier in the morning, so I don't need to see it again. I'm just not sure why it's giving some a 404 and not others.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phillips Coralcare V2 vs ATI Straton vs Ecotech Gen 5

should be interesting to see how they all stack up!

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow on the price.
Since they do not make their own leds they are using the same leds other can use in their fixtures.
Unless they are using some UV leds and I mean true not just the purple leds that is way high priced.
I do not know how they get away with this in the hobby.

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you change them every six months? I just switched to T5s from Radions, and I was under the assumption that they don't need to be changed until they hit 15-18 months, based upon this BRStv Investigates video. Ryan makes his blanket statement starting at 07:57 into the video. I'm not making judgement of your actions; I'm simply curious because I see some hobbyists, like yourself, change them after 6-9 months, and some change them after 1.5-2 years.

It seems that EcoTech decided to pull it from their site.

Your browser may have it cached. If you clear your cache, it will likely give you a 404.

No worries on the judgment thing! I was hoping myself to change them every 1-2 years as that was part of my initial attraction to T5 (lower cost than more LED units). The hybrid aquatic life units get crowded really quick, my tank is 96x30x24 so I have two 48" units side by side loaded with 3 radion XR30 G4s each. While I love this fixtures, they don't have a cooling system and the T5 area leaves little room for air flow. My tank is in-wall so the dedicated fish room behind it is housing a ton of heat. I have wall mounted fans to help but the heat over-all I think plays a role into the lifespan.

I had issues with colors and when I finally got my own PAR meter I was shocked to see how much they drop off over time. They begin to look visually dimmer after the 6 month mark for me, it's almost exactly 6 months every time. I stagger replacement on front to back bulbs (my back bulbs are not as important based on my aquascaping) so that I can easily look up and see a drastic difference in the older bulbs as a visual cue it's time to replace.

This is why I have such a love/hate with T5. Based on my setup and smaller fish room I struggle with layout/heat and power requirements.

Aqua Splendor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I shared the info on my instagram also just in case, look interesting. They knew they couldn't fight Kessil for Spotlight and went a different route, love this route also...

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phillips Coralcare V2 vs ATI Straton vs Ecotech Gen 5

should be interesting to see how they all stack up!

It will be very interesting to see these new Gen 5s in action but as mentioned earlier in this thread it's not like they are developing brand new in-house LED tech. For those of us that invested in a large spread of lighting I feel this upgrade doesn't bring a ton to the picture based on what little we know (which is why I am still interested). I see the trend going to larger units much like the knock-off china ones which makes sense as I felt the puck design everyone pushed was absolutely horrible and inefficient to how people typically aquascape and layout corals in their tank.

Until recently I have always said my XR30s were worth the $5k I invested in them, I upgraded older AI 52 units and was thrilled with the end result. I recently picked up an Orphek blue plus 48 inch light bar to place closer to the water level to fire light towards the front bottom sand bed where I am trying to grow acros to fill in some space. This has me so conflicted because the Orphek light visually compared to the Radions is night and day. I feel the color pop, blending and overall spread blows the G4 out of the water. My tank looks 100% better with Orphek to the point I am conflicted on replacing my G4 units with their larger expensive units.

Why does this hobby have to be so dang expensive. :(

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But the real question is if the fans on these G5s will shut down based on temperature Lol!
Real annoying with the XR30s vs the XR15s in regards to the fans 24/7 and well not, 24/7!

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It appears to me these were developed to combat the orphek, which having owned both I feel the orphek is a superior light and I am happy to see this move from ecotech. This will make radions more competitive in my mind for the title of 'best led no cost considered'.

Naturalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I will be listing my few month old G4 Pro as soon as I can place a order for the G5. I like new tech:)

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will it come with a diffuser plate? I know they slightly reduce par but do diffusers also reduce shimmer?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back