Radium vs Hamilton 20k spectrum

Semisonyx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet if yo

I bet if you used an m80 magnetic ballast on the radium you'd like the color just as much as the hamilton 20k. The hamilton bulb is spec'd to run at 250 watts I think. The radium is supposed to run with a magnetic m80 ballast which I think is around 330 watts. Running it at 330 will make it more white.

I've got some m80 ballasts laying around. I was strongly considering doing that anyway to compare the lux at the surface for the Radium on the luxcore vs M80. I don't remember seeing a visual difference in the past, but will try it again. It'd def be worth the switch back if I can eek a little more PAR out of them that way, considering I'm dropping all supplemental lighting, but that's for a different thread. ;)

Semisonyx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is certainly more with an M80 than being driven by the icecap ballast at 250w. The old icecaps were a little weaker than the current day electronic ballasts at the regular 250w setting. Comparing the m80 to the newer electronic ballast on “superlumen” setting, I doubt it’s very much increase... but I’ll test it next week.

The difference on 250w ballast vs m80 for a 20k radium is about a 28% increase... pretty significant and more than an "eek," IMO.

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is certainly more with an M80 than being driven by the icecap ballast at 250w. The old icecaps were a little weaker than the current day electronic ballasts at the regular 250w setting. Comparing the m80 to the newer electronic ballast on “superlumen” setting, I doubt it’s very much increase... but I’ll test it next week.

The superlumen 250 setting is probably only 280 watts.

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get about 150 more PAR out of the Radium on Superlumen than the Hamilton 20k at 250w setting on the surface. With a one year old Radium on SL setting in a Hamilton Cayman reflector 12 inches off the water surface, I'm getting about 600 PAR. Sounds pretty comparable to what you're seeing. ;)
Yup, good solid method of extending the bulk life ;)

Semisonyx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
273 according to my apex

Interesting. What specific ballast? Here’s a video (not mine) that shows the difference between the 250w and 250w SL settings. The 250w setting shows 270w drawn, while the SL setting shows about 310w of draw.

The superlumen 250 setting is probably only 280 watts.

The Radium bulb itself is spec’d for 270w, meaning 270w at the bulb. An M80 may draw 330w from the wall and an electronic ballast on SL setting may draw 310w from the wall, but due to differences of efficiencies in the ballast, the difference at the bulb may be a couple of watts or not at all. Either way, it’s close enough for my useage. The more important difference between the ballasts is the frequency at which they operate the bulb arc, the electronic being much higher, which could lead to a shorter bulb life.

I have a busy day, but will try to dig out the m80 for a test this afternoon.

Semisonyx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, unfortunately, I don’t have the female connector to hook my Hamilton pendant to my bare M80 ballast. I could hook it up to a lumenarc mini, but then that wouldn’t be an accurate comparison since they are different reflectors.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here we find ourselves in 2023 (in 7 days).

Have we determined what ballast works best with a 250w SE Radium 20K lamp? M80/ HQI or LuXcore??

What do you prefer….

OP
OP
kevensquint

kevensquint

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thread is quite old, I have removed MH this past year in favor of Ecotech G6 pros. I am open to add T5 to them. But the gear to support MH is getting harder and harder to find. It's just time to update ( speaking for myself).

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found several places still selling them new online without even much effort... not to mention suppliers in Europe who will make 110v versions for you. Are people even trying, or just repeating what some other know-nothing know-it-alls have said on the interwebs? I cannot wait to see a TRex, BTW.

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Found several places still selling them new online without even much effort... not to mention suppliers in Europe who will make 110v versions for you. Are people even trying, or just repeating what some other know-nothing know-it-alls have said on the interwebs? I cannot wait to see a TRex, BTW.

JDA, I like you buddy, you're a wealth of MH information, but I have to ding you on this one, lol.

Are you reading?

"FACTORY DIRECT - USUALLY SHIPS OUT WITHIN 1-2 Days"

That's from Hamilton and I can tell you for 100% they don't have them. I've checked.

European making them? Possible, no idea.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fact one can find pages of m59 ballasts on evil bay but zero m80's is certainly not a great sign.

Since nobody "helpfully" posts an actual link where one can actually buy one.. well what can I say.
I'll have to assume that atm the Hamilton link is just wishful thinking?
Maybe just protecting a short supply?

Now in a past life ;) I did find this which "may" be real.. or not.

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The fact one can find pages of m59 ballasts on evil bay but zero m80's is certainly not a great sign.

Since nobody "helpfully" posts an actual link where one can actually buy one.. well what can I say.
I'll have to assume that atm the Hamilton link is just wishful thinking?
Maybe just protecting a short supply?

Now in a past life ;) I did find this which "may" be real.. or not.
Nice find! I was going to order 2, but they want $200 for UPS shipping. Ouch.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice find! I was going to order 2, but they want $200 for UPS shipping. Ouch.
After a bit more digging..Probably a phantom company..
After 7 years of serving aquarium hobbyists, Innovative Lighting Solutions will be closing its online and offline store. We are looking for a company or individual who is interested in purchasing the website and remaining inventory. If you are interested please email me directly at [email protected]. Thank you.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 47 21.3%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 161 72.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.5%
Back