Raise salinity

brownjoshua475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there I'm trying to raise my salinity to 1.025 or 35ppt it's currently at 1.023. Can I raise it safely my just doing a water change and having the new water higher or is there a different way to do it

Omgitsjoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure of the official "rule" but I personally raise it 0.001 per day by adding the appropriate amount of pre dissolved salt directly to the sump

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on the volume in your tank, I would say yes you can adjust via water change. If the tank is massive, you may consider other options like shutting the auto top off off until you get to the desired salinity and then turn the ATO back on

Terry Mattson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just add freshly mixed salt (cup or 2) a day until I reach my target. No stress to livestock that way. I keep my SG at 1.026. Sometimes it drops due to skimmer loss to 1.025. I then add a couple cups a day until it is back at 1.026. I have a 91 gallon system.

OP
OP
brownjoshua475

brownjoshua475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on the volume in your tank, I would say yes you can adjust via water change. If the tank is massive, you may consider other options like shutting the auto top off off until you get to the desired salinity and then turn the ATO back on
It's only a 32 gallon I just didnt know if I made a bucket of 1.025 saltwater and add it to the tank if that was 2 high of a jump since the tank is at 1.023

OP
OP
brownjoshua475

brownjoshua475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just add freshly mixed salt (cup or 2) a day until I reach my target. No stress to livestock that way. I keep my SG at 1.026. Sometimes it drops due to skimmer loss to 1.025. I then add a couple cups a day until it is back at 1.026. I have a 91 gallon system.
Ok sounds good I only have a 32 gallon aio setup

Terry Mattson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just add a cup or 2 of 1.026 mixed salt. Wait till evaperation effect and check 24 hours later. If still low add another cup. Take it slow. No stress to live stock.

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just add a cup or 2 of 1.026 mixed salt. Wait till evaperation effect and check 24 hours later. If still low add another cup. Take it slow. No stress to live stock.

This means freshly mixed saltwater just to make sure no one misinterprets this! Never add salt directly to a tank ;Dead

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easiest way is to add saltwater instead of freshwater as you top off for evaporation. Once you hit the desired salinity, go back to freshwater for the top off water.

reeffreak911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I do is do a water change but add more water then needed and as water evaporates salinity goes up I just go above auto top off trigger check and add more if needed or remove water if your good

ReefHomieJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But once you turn the ato back on it’s just going to dilute the water back to what it was. I switch the ato to saltwater until it gets back to the desired salinity then switch it back to RO/DI

krash7172

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I add small amounts of salt to the first stage of my sump. The key being SMALL. I only move it about 0.0005 per day. Wait 24 hrs and check again. Is this bad practice?

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could change your salinity that much in the time it takes to acclimate a fish. A couple of hours. If you buy a fish and find it's in low salinity water to prevent disease you don't take a week to get it into the tank.

I personally add small amounts of salt into my overflow but there is nothing living in my sump. You have to wait and let it dissolve and mix but it still only takes a few hours.

Terry Mattson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I add small amounts of salt to the first stage of my sump. The key being SMALL. I only move it about 0.0005 per day. Wait 24 hrs and check again. Is this bad practice?
I have pods all over the sump and a few snails in the refugium. So ya I little risk adverse. I only add pre mixed saltwater to raise SG or skimmer loss of saltwater....

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back