Raising magnesium too quickly

Trailermann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a poor batch of Fritz Pro salt that gives me a Mg level of 980 ppm (confirmed by two LFS stores). I want to raise the mixed saltwater but so instructions say to not raise more than 100 ppm daily. Is that for the health of a display tank, or does that apply to batch of new salt water?

miPapareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 100 ppm applies to your display tank. When you make a new batch of salt water adjusted to the correct level.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a poor batch of Fritz Pro salt that gives me a Mg level of 980 ppm (confirmed by two LFS stores). I want to raise the mixed saltwater but so instructions say to not raise more than 100 ppm daily. Is that for the health of a display tank, or does that apply to batch of new salt water?

The point is to not add too much magnesium at once because of impurities that might be in the magnesium additive, rather than the magnesium itself. If you intend massive water changes, then it may not be OK to boost the new salt water that much, but if you intend smaller (10-15%) water changes, then its fine to boost the salt mix all at once.

To a big extent it depends on the purity of the additive.

OP
OP
T

Trailermann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I am puzzled about the Fritz also. I have tried multiple test kits, had samples testing at two LFSs, RODI water from three different sources, cleaning the mixing barrels thoroughly, using brand new containers, carefully and very slowly adding the salt to heavily agitated water, testing the salt mix soon after finishing the mixing, and testing one and two days later. I have used 30, 5 and 1 gallon containers.

Here is the result of my last batch, not much different than my other five batches.
kH 5.8
Ca 250
Mg 960

I have talked with a very experienced LFS owner, as well as the Fritz expert, to no avail. Any thoughts on what I could be doing wrong?

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along, those numbers seem really low.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I am puzzled about the Fritz also. I have tried multiple test kits, had samples testing at two LFSs, RODI water from three different sources, cleaning the mixing barrels thoroughly, using brand new containers, carefully and very slowly adding the salt to heavily agitated water, testing the salt mix soon after finishing the mixing, and testing one and two days later. I have used 30, 5 and 1 gallon containers.

Here is the result of my last batch, not much different than my other five batches.
kH 5.8
Ca 250
Mg 960

I have talked with a very experienced LFS owner, as well as the Fritz expert, to no avail. Any thoughts on what I could be doing wrong?

Super low salinity?

Excessive separation of materials in the dry mix, and using part to make a nonuniform seawater?

OP
OP
T

Trailermann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, good point, but I used two different refractometers, both calibrated with solution. Also, I the salinity checked at the LFS. Wht the heck, I will check it again.
And one more thing, how far off would the salinity have to be to give a calcium reading of 250?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 124 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back