Raising nitrate

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello guys so I just pulled out my carbon but I still have my skimmer and gfo on.
My nitrate is 0 but my phosphates are 0.14 any tips to raise the nitrate?

I’m thinking about buying a bunch of cromies

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeding more fish will raise both nitrates & phosphates. Most coral & macro would prefer ammonia instead of nitrate.

Add calcium nitrate to raise nitrate & calcium.

OP
OP
Perthegallon

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Feeding more fish will raise both nitrates & phosphates. Most coral & macro would prefer ammonia instead of nitrate.

Add calcium nitrate to raise nitrate & calcium.
I don’t want to raise calcium though because I’m using black bucket Red Sea salt and I think that would make it go to high

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t want to raise calcium though because I’m using black bucket Red Sea salt and I think that would make it go to high

Can’t you just dial back dosing to offset it? Either way depending on the size of your tank just dose something like NeoNitro until there you want it then calculate your daily consumption.

OP
OP
Perthegallon

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can’t you just dial back dosing to offset it? Either way depending on the size of your tank just dose something like NeoNitro until there you want it then calculate your daily consumption.
I mainly have frags so I don’t really have much calcium being used. I should start tracking it but I assume it’s not enough corals yet to consider it I attached a photo

Attachments

• IMG_4297.jpeg
    IMG_4297.jpeg
    121.1 KB · Views: 32

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mainly have frags so I don’t really have much calcium being used. I should start tracking it but I assume it’s not enough corals yet to consider it I attached a photo
Barring an outbreak of algae, dinos, etc, I would think if you’re bottoming out nitrate you’re pulling a decent bit of calcium. See a few acans in there. They are pretty big hogs. Also seeing some coralline. In my experience it’s the worst offender of calcium consumption.

OP
OP
Perthegallon

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Barring an outbreak of algae, dinos, etc, I would think if you’re bottoming out nitrate you’re pulling a decent bit of calcium. See a few acans in there. They are pretty big hogs. Also seeing some coralline. In my experience it’s the worst offender of calcium consumption.
Never thought about that before that’s a really good assumption. Going to start tracking calcium now!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep the carbon, it isn't going to do anything with nitrates. put the skimmer on a timer with it off during the day.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A 10 ppm increase in Nitrate will only add 3.2 ppm calcium using calcium nitrate.

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dose initially and long run feed more and run gfo to get/keep phos down. In my experience frozen increases nitrates more then phos. .

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seachem Nitrogen Flourish has ammonium and was easy to use for me in the past.

The one thing I did was dilute the solution down and dose over a longer period of time. This way the nitrate was slowly rising and not jumping up in large numbers.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 12 7.5%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 30 18.6%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 107 66.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.1%
Back