Raising nitrates with spectricide?

Rp8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spoke with a helpful employee at LFS (rare), asked about ways to raise nitrates. Mine have bottomed out at 0. So he suggested instead Specteicide stump remover. He said he uses it in his tank and even gave me a mixture to use. Has anyone ever done this? The only ingredient is potassium nitrate. I looked up MSDS. Pictures are the brand and his mixture. Thanks in advance.

20201120_161342.jpg 20201120_161431.jpg

daybreaksky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's widely used in freshwater planted tanks to feed the plants so they can outgrow algae.
I've used it in my freshwater planted setups for years and model rocket engines it's basically fertilizer

Peng1606

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also purchase potassium/calcium/magnesium nitrate from green leaf aquariums. I have used that before as was battling low nitrates and phosphates.
Did ICP test recently and no heavy metals detected. Only abnormality was potassium was a little low and iodine a bit high.... so no significant contamination

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used it for a couple years as it was cheap and easy to find. I'm finding now that it's now quite so easy to find, so I used brightwell neo-nitrate.

I used to use this calc to make my mix so 1ml was 2ppm. You can play with the amount of nitrate or RO/DI to make a mix that suitable for you.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used stump remover before and it works. Although the purity is a concern. I’ve moved on to LoudWolf and have great results with it. Definitely recommend this product for dosing N or P.
3DF4E4F0-8B68-4449-A511-A871AC6F512E.jpeg

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found I had horrible cyano outbreaks with stump remover. Never could pin it down to the impurities in it, but since I switched to neo-nitro, I no longer have mysterious cyano outbreaks.

Thought about using the loudwolf products, but neo-nitro was just to easy to use.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found I had horrible cyano outbreaks with stump remover. Never could pin it down to the impurities in it, but since I switched to neo-nitro, I no longer have mysterious cyano outbreaks.

Thought about using the loudwolf products, but neo-nitro was just to easy to use.
You may see Cyano especially if your dose is too strong. I did see more with Stump Remover.

I make my solution to where it raises N by 1ppm for 1 mL. If you raise much more than 1ppm at one time, it seems to affect Acro’s negatively and cause other issues.

Last edited:

kblazewicz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Rp8 Just keep in mind that dosing 50 ppm of NO3 will rise your alkalinity by 2.3 dKH. I didn't know that and wondered why my alk is going up after I started dosing KNO3.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow good to know. This was the 1st time an employee was knowledgable and didnt just try to sell me some extra junk. Thanks everybody.

Well, the chemical type is good, but there's no reason to use a potentially impure agricultural grade.

Food grade sodium or potassium nitrate is cheap and easy to find.

U

User1

View Badges
I’ve used stump remover before and it works. Although the purity is a concern. I’ve moved on to LoudWolf and have great results with it. Definitely recommend this product for dosing N or P.
3DF4E4F0-8B68-4449-A511-A871AC6F512E.jpeg

This is what I use anyway for nitrate. Loudwolf's 4 oz bottle can be found on etsy or whatever.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back