Raising nitrates

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nitrates are currently at 1ppm and phos at .03. Ive tried to feed more to raise my nitrate but does not seem to be working. What products are available to slowly raise nitrates. Am i at risk to get dinos with my nitrate so low. My rocks are mostly algea free but ive been seeing occasionally almost hairlike brown algae. It like one or two strands then disappears. The rest of the algea my blenny and astrea snails have been slowly taking down.
A485F2CC-606F-460D-9E1C-5194975B86D2.jpeg
8724E531-0B26-499F-A442-B3E212F8B816.jpeg

Justin Cook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use sodium nitrate but only dose enough to get the levels up to 1.0. I've added livestock, fed a bit more and changed my water change schedule and I'm hoping to get the level high enough to where I don't need to dose. Until then, I use 2mL of a NaNO3 solution that I made up every other day. I am seeing more GHA growth so I know something is working and the coral colors are improving.

OP
OP
Fishko

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before you go onto dosing, what is your filtration and maintenance schedule?
Was doing a 10 percent water change, but stopped and have an eshopps skimmer that is really tuned well. I was letting my alk drop. Using red sea coral pro.

aqua_code

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed LoudWolf brand sodium nitrate to elevate nitrates. It worked very well.
This is what I use as well. Just mixed it with some RODI water and figure out the approximate dosage. It's better to go too high on the nitrates rather than have them too low.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was doing a 10 percent water change, but stopped and have an eshopps skimmer that is really tuned well. I was letting my alk drop. Using red sea coral pro.
You don’t have to do wc’s very often. Most will criticize me but I usually only do a 20% once every few months. Do you have a fuge? Purigen or biopellets?

OP
OP
Fishko

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t have to do wc’s very often. Most will criticize me but I usually only do a 20% once every few months. Do you have a fuge? Purigen or biopellets?
Only skimmer, i havent done a major water change in maybe two months. Maybe a gallon or two to correct for a salinity swing

MikeyG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add more fish. Mainly tangs...Kole, hippo and yellow tangs are great algae eaters, and the wast they produce will help increase your nitrate levels

Anthony Scholfield

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add more fish. Mainly tangs...Kole, hippo and yellow tangs are great algae eaters, and the wast they produce will help increase your nitrate levels
Please forgive me and dont take this the wrong way but this may not be helpful. We dont know ops tank size, adding more fish may not be an option.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding more fish Is always an option! Regardless of tank size, he obviously doesn’t have enough waste being produced. Tangs was just a good suggestion of a fish that eats a lot and poops a lot.
Please forgive me and dont take this the wrong way but this may not be helpful. We dont know ops tank size, adding more fish may not be an option.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing nitrates is adding liquid poop. Why not get something out of your liquid poop and have a fish to watch make the poop. My dad has a 12” v. Tang that would do a pretty good job helping your nitrate issue ;Hilarious

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back