Raising tank pH with a CO2 scrubber? | Reef FAQs

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here we go. Reef FAQs Wednesday!

How do you know if a CO2 scrubber will work to raise pH in your tank? How do you hook one up efficiently?

In this one Ryan helps us ID how to know if CO2 is causing your lower tank pH and then shows us a few ways to hook one up to your skimmer!

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My CO2 scrubber needs its media changed every ~5 days and only improves pH about 0.3-0.5 pH so I am not sure that it is worth it for me, I am just burning through the rest of my scrubber media then re-evaluating.

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My scrubber did a great job this winter when the apartment was buttoned up. Recirculating the air through the skimmer helped keep it moist and extend its life (2-3 times as long). Now that summer is here I haven’t changed my media in over a month and no drop so the windows being open have really helped. I’m looking for ward to a much more stable winter this year as I had some serious issues with low PH before I added the scrubber (PH dipped as low as 8.6)

Len

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My scrubber did a great job this winter when the apartment was buttoned up. Recirculating the air through the skimmer helped keep it moist and extend its life (2-3 times as long). Now that summer is here I haven’t changed my media in over a month and no drop so the windows being open have really helped. I’m looking for ward to a much more stable winter this year as I had some serious issues with low PH before I added the scrubber (PH dipped as low as 8.6)

Len

I assume you meant to write: " PH dipped as low as 7.6" , not 8.6 as you wrote above. If not - then I am very confused.

Chad Kleiner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just added the BRS CO2 Scrubber to my 525XL last night. PH 7.9 (aiming for 8.3) and Alk was very high at 11.4 (aiming for 8-10). I’ll post updates every 30 days with Photos of Trident Readings and Growth of SPS and Softies. Hope this works, especially lowering my high Alk!

Caravanshaka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so did you finally start including the Hard Cartridge with the cO2 scrubbers instead of the DI cartridges? The hard cartridges work 10x better as they don't absorb the water that collects at the bottom when you are using air from your skimmer cup on the intake. I have 2 tanks with dual scrubbers, so had to spend an extra $40 just to get the hard cartridges.

Chad Kleiner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I did! Bought some CO2 removing media from BRS and since adding it over a week ago, my PH has raised to 8.2 and Alk has dropped to 10.3 and is slowly dropping everyday. I’m using my Trident to record the results and I’m seeing amazing increases in PH and my Alk is down from 14 to 10.3 in just over a week! Well worth the investment! The hard cartridge hooked up to my Venturi on my skimmer was the way to go!
so did you finally start including the Hard Cartridge with the cO2 scrubbers instead of the DI cartridges? The hard cartridges work 10x better as they don't absorb the water that collects at the bottom when you are using air from your skimmer cup on the intake. I have 2 tanks with dual scrubbers, so had to spend an extra $40 just to get the hard cartridges.

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who is "they" and can you link that stream. I am posting for others that may be following. I assume you mean BRS- I am sure they would love for you to link that stream.

KenRexford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot figure out why, but my PH went up maybe from average of 7.9 to maybe average of 8.2 when I added the CO2 scrubber. The weird thing is that I have not changed my CO2 media for weeks. No purple yet showing. I would think that I did something wrong, except that the PH average changed. It's like I have magic CO2 scrubber media that just scares the CO2 away or something. Strangest thing.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back