Rajkovich207's Biocube 29 With Sump

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not have a 40b, my dad does though. you are thinking of impur, he has the 40b. at the stalling. it took me a while to figure it out but even Dr. Tim says it can happen. and to Albert, I had my hands in the tanks ALOT. I figured all of the stuff that's on my hands would leach into the tank, and at the very least soap residue would make its way in there. there's actually a thread on here discussing this topic, and I knew how often my hands were in my old tanks. between that and how often I tinkered with various things, my other 2 tanks did not do so well. I figured I would give it a shot, and it really seems to be making a difference! I would advise anyone to try it for a month, and I bet they would see a great difference! thanks for the comments everyone!

Thanks and yes it is best to wear gloves indeed and not just of the reasons you explain IME but also so you do not get stung or get toxins released by corals etc ... on your hands but the problem is still that if you wear gloves part of your arm gets in the water IMO and that would release compounds in the water as well, maybe not soap although if you rinse your hands well after washing them the soap should be gone, but mostly the oily matter that is on our skin .. but you say you saw a big difference so obviously something that was getting in the water no longer is I suspect ... good for you,

I wear gloves at times and that at times not but I do make sure that I do not have soapy hands or residue of soap on them. More of a problem though is aerosols used in one's house or apartment or anything else that is sprayed or kitchen fumes or whatever gets in the air when one is cooking and that gets drawn into the water by the skimmer and also at the air/water interface.

And if one has dogs or cats or birds then anything used on them is also potentially something that enter the water. So the issue is actually IMO a lot more complex.

But I understand what you are saying as you are at least eliminating one source of pollution that could get in the tank

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and to nam I would love to see pics of your setup, you should through some up! also welcome to R2R!!! you will quickly grow to love the friendly people here !!!
Yes and friendly they are for sure here on R2R ... much more so than on a number of other Forums. Thanks for pointing it out. +1

OP
OP
rajkovich207

rajkovich207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually have arm length gloves lol, I think they are 28" long. very thick as well though and its hard to do much in them. and we have dogs birds cats ferrets, fw fish, sw corals. and then at my parents house they have a dog three cats, several rats and various others as well as a reef tank lol. so yes I am aware of hair in the tank. it drives me nuts lol!

I came from the other site as well, it was awful over there lol.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually have arm length gloves lol, I think they are 28" long. very thick as well though and its hard to do much in them. and we have dogs birds cats ferrets, fw fish, sw corals. and then at my parents house they have a dog three cats, several rats and various others as well as a reef tank lol. so yes I am aware of hair in the tank. it drives me nuts lol!

I came from the other site as well, it was awful over there lol.

Gee with all of those you could open a zoo I guess :- but seriously good for you that you use those long gloves. Just read another article on a hobbyist who ended up in the ER and nearly to his grave due to handling palys in a totally wrong way and getting the toxin fumes in his face and inhaling them.

Also you won't get stung by a bubble coral like someone on another forum who actually had it listed under his avatar :)

And on dog and cat hair ... yes a mess indeed .. fortunately they seem to float to the top and get caught in the mech filters ..

OP
OP
rajkovich207

rajkovich207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not in my tank lol. They always get stuck on my rocks. And I've heard and seen some crazy things about people getting serriously hurt by things in their tanks, and me being accident prone I figured it was only a matter of time lol

OP
OP
rajkovich207

rajkovich207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
alright well its been a while again lol, not sure if I mentioned but got an mp10 es for christmas and its awesome!!! havent really seen a change in nitrates since adding them nov 16, so I will be adding a new skimmer next week uping the flow through them and will be having the return from the BPs dump into the skimmer via "T" at pump entrance. Having a bit of a cyano outbreak on the top rock, and some diatoms on the sand (from my yellow coris wrasse more than likely). other than that all seems well, sps are giving me awesome PE, added 2 sexy shrimp, and see the pom pom some times lol. now for the pics! theres alot so be prepared lol.

first off some pics of the PE on my plana?
DSCF4357_zpse227d26d.jpg

DSCF4364_zpsa051fe53.jpg

OP
OP
rajkovich207

rajkovich207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
new clam, I believe its a crocea
DSCF4285_zps12cb1f6e.jpg

not sure of the name but I believe its called an aussie lemonade
DSCF4407_zpsb955d554.jpg

frag of a nlue tipped green stag mariculture ( noticed it had hydroids on it so I toothbrushed it and the blue tips havent returned yet)
DSCF4409_zpse667bd29.jpg

yellowish gold acro
DSCF4412_zps268ca846.jpg

this thing was brown and its coloring up like crazy, just wanted to share (note: there is some blue coming in that you cant see in the pic)
DSCF4413_zps57c7fc6e.jpg

OP
OP
rajkovich207

rajkovich207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry I rotated the top one, not sure why it didnt stay...

now for my fish
clowns
DSCF4316_zpsf0dddf92.jpg

DSCF4310_zpsdf601cef.jpg

wrasse
DSCF4290_zps528cd821.jpg

and I know what some of you are going to say about this one, but Ive always loved them, the price was amazing, I have a plan if she bugs the clams, or if she out grows my tank, but in the mean time, here we go...
DSCF4404_zpsa377a168.jpg

DSCF4405_zpsfc50d1e3.jpg

for those of you that cant tell, its a female potters angel, she is eating incredibly well, is a strong swimmer, but she needs to be fixed up a bit (hence the price im sure) at the moment we are about half way through her ich treatment hd 3 flukes fall off in FW dip, i believe she has a small internal bacterial infection (to be worked on next), a bump on her top fin i have yet to ID, and last but not least her fins are beat up. We made a deal though, Ill fix her up if she hangs in there lol. I recently lost 2 fire fish 2 different times, one got stuck the the screen on the PH (hence the sponges now, and they are blue from the nox-ich) and the other one had a really bad wound on its side (the LFS was a bit rough catching it so im thinking that where that came from) but as long as she hold up her end of the deal Ill hold up mine lol.

OP
OP
rajkovich207

rajkovich207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and last but not least the FTS
DSCF4406_zps6ae11070.jpg

growth has been awesome but I am still acclimating everything to the leds (I think one of the acros I already raised it bleaching a bit under some of the branches and on the encrusting parts but Im not positive) so thats why everything is still on the sand bed.
thanks for looking, Hope you enjoyed and I appologize for some of the bad pics lol.

OP
OP
rajkovich207

rajkovich207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ah also forgot to add, got a lettuce sea slug for the bit of HA you can see, it is less that an inch long and is munching down the algea like nobodys business lol. (after I added the wrasse he decided to eat most of my snails, and my tank is paying for it lol, and the few flatworms I put him in there to eat... he doesnt touch, go figure lol)

OP
OP
rajkovich207

rajkovich207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks skinz! I actually took a pic in october of Pacific east aquacultures clam tank at a local frag swap. had to have 50 6" tahitian clams in it, never got around to posting it for you lol.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and last but not least the FTS

growth has been awesome but I am still acclimating everything to the leds (I think one of the acros I already raised it bleaching a bit under some of the branches and on the encrusting parts but Im not positive) so thats why everything is still on the sand bed.
thanks for looking, Hope you enjoyed and I appologize for some of the bad pics lol.

Looking real good ....

ReefPops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is looking good. Love the FTS! The potters is gorgeous too!

Last edited:

impur

GO DUCKS!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great!!! Keep it up. I have a female potters in my 60gal cube and she picks on some LPS but it doesn't look like you have any :) my fav angel just awesome. I soak her food in angelixer by Brightwell and it really made her colors stand out, plus helped heal some hole in the head she has.

OP
OP
rajkovich207

rajkovich207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly I lost the potters valentines day morning. She was problem after problem broke out in ich again and would up destroying the bio filter with meds, she was a beautiful fish for sure and it was awful I lost her but she's in a better place now and because of the impulse buy I didn't observe her properly. Tanks been in a bit of a rough patch. Lost a couple sps because my nitrates spiked to about a hundred. Got that back in line and I believe my bio pellets are finally doing their job, trates currently less than 5 ppm. Also just got done with a 3 day black out. Got tired of looking at my cyano so I also started dosing special blend. Upgraded to a reef octo nwb110 (overflowed it a couple times so Iade a skim mate locker with float switch) and now have the bp effluent dumping directly into the pump intake. Other than that not much else new has changed, looking to set up a seahorse tank in the next few month, had to get a new phone today so thos plans got set back a touch lol. Anyways sorry for rambling and thanks for reading!

tcwoodrn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to see how you rigged the float switch in the skimmer cup, I've thought about doing that as well but am not sure how to mount the switch.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 31 29.2%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 19 17.9%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 28 26.4%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 26 24.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back