OP
OP
rajkovich207

rajkovich207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually mounted it to the inside of an old milk jug. Rigged it up with a bamboo skewer and some super glue, I'll try to get a pick tomorrow. I've found that a 1g locker is far to large, I've cleaned the cup already and there's barely 2inches of skim mate in the locker lol

OP
OP
rajkovich207

rajkovich207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright we'll I just spent 3 and a half hours cleaning up my tank lol. The black out seemed to just make the cyano mad and it came back with a vengance. I ended up sticking a hose in my filter sock and sucked every visible bit off the rocks, then blew them out and did a 3 gallon water change. The skimmer pulled out just shy of a gallon of skim mate in just over a week and because of it, my salinity crept down to 1.025 and

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

OP
OP
rajkovich207

rajkovich207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The couple sps I still have are suffering it, not to mention the nitrates crept up to about 25 ppm on me again for some reason, so the water change is to help bring that up and then am topping off with saltwater as well. I'll be watching things like a hawk to make sure I didn't do more harm than good with maintenance today. When things are looking crummy and your corals start to suffer from it it's easy to get down (at least for me) but when you clean things back up you realize how amazing this hobby is. I forgot how proud I am of this tank because of the way it's looking so I just wanted to throw up a quick iPhone pic.
ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1362287685.167269.jpg

Thanks for looking everyone!

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The couple sps I still have are suffering it, not to mention the nitrates crept up to about 25 ppm on me again for some reason, so the water change is to help bring that up and then am topping off with saltwater as well. I'll be watching things like a hawk to make sure I didn't do more harm than good with maintenance today. When things are looking crummy and your corals start to suffer from it it's easy to get down (at least for me) but when you clean things back up you realize how amazing this hobby is. I forgot how proud I am of this tank because of the way it's looking so I just wanted to throw up a quick iPhone pic.
ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1362287685.167269.jpg

Thanks for looking everyone!

Looks good to me but I guess you did a MAJOR cleaning indeed.

ReefPops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good. Hopefully everything will be back to normal for you soon enough. Know what you mean about getting down though, I think it happens to all of us. FTS looks great though so hopefully it's up hill from here.

impur

GO DUCKS!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep up the work and you will beat that cyano. Its such a pain!!! Tank looks nice all spiffy clean ;)

I had a snail decide to crawl into the back and then sit on my float switch for what must have been 3 or 4 hours, dumping about 2-3 gal of FW into my biocube :( Lost all my SPS and my zoas still don't look good that was about a month ago

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep up the work and you will beat that cyano. Its such a pain!!! Tank looks nice all spiffy clean ;)

I had a snail decide to crawl into the back and then sit on my float switch for what must have been 3 or 4 hours, dumping about 2-3 gal of FW into my biocube :( Lost all my SPS and my zoas still don't look good that was about a month ago
Wow that is a bummer ... never had that seen happening ... must be a first or close to it ... and sorry about your losses

impur

GO DUCKS!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yah never had it happen either, but then again all my float switches have been in sumps so snails would have to go down the overflow to get there. With the biocube they just crawl over the back wall

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yah never had it happen either, but then again all my float switches have been in sumps so snails would have to go down the overflow to get there. With the biocube they just crawl over the back wall
Welcome to the club :) ... lots of things happen that we do not expect ... and of course this one was not a pleasant one for sure ... sorry it did happen.

I would give the snail a serious scalding ! :) Read it the riot act !

OP
OP
rajkovich207

rajkovich207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have snails in my fuge where my float switch is but it has a PVC cap on it to work like a snail guard. Losing my red milli to Rtn so that's a big shame but the cyano is barely creeping back in a couple spots but for the most part has been at bay. Hopefully the syphoning did the trick. My dad has been trying to convince me to do a small dose of maricyn just to finish off the lat spores but I'm not sure if I want to yet.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have snails in my fuge where my float switch is but it has a PVC cap on it to work like a snail guard. Losing my red milli to Rtn so that's a big shame but the cyano is barely creeping back in a couple spots but for the most part has been at bay. Hopefully the syphoning did the trick. My dad has been trying to convince me to do a small dose of maricyn just to finish off the lat spores but I'm not sure if I want to yet.

Sorry about the losses and yes that hurts .... now on the Cyanos .. how many do you have ? And if you are going to use anything chemicals do NOT use Maracyn, use ChemiClean instead if you have many.

OP
OP
rajkovich207

rajkovich207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I have a few light spots I figured if it starts to get stronger ill dose, my dad has used it several times on his sps/Zoa tank with no ill effects, and I've used APIs eurithromyacin (sorry if I butchered that lol) but am a bit on the fence about that. And I've heard several bad things including oxygen depletion with chemiclean. Why is maracyn 1 a bad option to use?

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I have a few light spots I figured if it starts to get stronger ill dose, my dad has used it several times on his sps/Zoa tank with no ill effects, and I've used APIs eurithromyacin (sorry if I butchered that lol) but am a bit on the fence about that. And I've heard several bad things including oxygen depletion with chemiclean. Why is maracyn 1 a bad option to use?
If you only have a few patches you may be able to siphon them out and do some water changes and get rid of them that way. On the ChemiClean : it does not contain any Erythromycin and what to do to avoid oxygen depleetion is explained very clearly and I know of dozens and dozens of people who have used it and had no problems what so ever ... just do not use more than is recommended meaning you have to figure out the real amount of water you have in the tank, not what it is rated for. Rocks and sand displace water and the rated gallons of a tank is always higher than what you really have in it since you do not fill it to the rim.

On the Maracyn : Minocycline in the product does not work all that well in saltwater due to the high calcium content and that is why he SW version contains actually twice the amount of Minocycline as the FW version ... It's basically a Tetracycline type antibiotic.

I prefer the ChemiClean by far if you have to use it ... just follow the instructions and if you are going to use it let me know and I'll tell you exactly how to.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 41 26.5%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 34 21.9%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 40 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back