Ramping lights or not

Reefsareef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wondering if I need to to ramp my light?

People with T5, metal halides can't ramp up in the morning down in the evening can they?
Just have full power lighting in the day for a few hours.

So do I need my LED light to come on early morning at low intensity creep up to full power for a couple of hours then slowly creep down again?

Are we doing the all day lighting for ourselves so we get to view it for longer or does it have advantages to the corals to be lit at various light intensity and several hours of a day ?

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only advantages to ramping up and down is to not startle the fish when the lights are abruptly turned on (or off). Other than that, no, it is strictly for our viewing.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wondering if I need to to ramp my light?

People with T5, metal halides can't ramp up in the morning down in the evening can they?
Just have full power lighting in the day for a few hours.

So do I need my LED light to come on early morning at low intensity creep up to full power for a couple of hours then slowly creep down again?

Are we doing the all day lighting for ourselves so we get to view it for longer or does it have advantages to the corals to be lit at various light intensity and several hours of a day ?
I personally do it as I’ve had better colours from corals that way. The fish also don’t really spook as badly either when the lights ramp down.
I have found it gives the coral more lighting as although it’s still lower PAR it does get the light to the algae in the coral’s skeleton (Zooxanthellae).

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefs in nature can be exposed to sunlight anywhere from 12 to 16 hours per day.

My MH lights are on 8 hours a day, which I find is a good balance of me getting my viewing pleasure, the corals get enough light for their health, but not long enough photoperiod to promote too much algae growth.

The light turning on and off does spook the fish for a moment, but after a few years, they are used to it now, it doesn't hurt them if that is the concern.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had metal halide I would turn on 1 at 8 am and the next one at 10am. They would go off in the same manner.
Both sides of the tank had a dim period and a fully lit period.
I like the sun up /sun down times. As said, you won't startle the fish also. LED has been a game changer for the more natural sun up/sun down look.

T5 people can turn on 1 or 2 at a time(depending on number of ballasts) to create the effect.

The_Skrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back before apps, it was just an on off switch. You definitely don’t have to ramp your lights up and down. If you have multiple fixtures you could turn one on and wait an hour before turning on the other fixture. I did that with T5s on my first tank. The blues came on first and an hour later I’d turn the rest of the lights on.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I have lights with the ability to ramp on and off I use that feature. I don't know why someone wouldn't use it to prevent the fish from being startled.? I typically only do a 30 minute ramp time. I have my lights come on very low around 9 am and ramp up starting at 11:30. I'm retired and like to see whats going on in the tank without having to wait till noon when the lights begin the normal schedule. I also have them on low untill 10pm so I can watch things going on then as well. I spend a lot of time viewing my tanks.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back before apps, it was just an on off switch. You definitely don’t have to ramp your lights up and down. If you have multiple fixtures you could turn one on and wait an hour before turning on the other fixture. I did that with T5s on my first tank. The blues came on first and an hour later I’d turn the rest of the lights on.
Pretty much how I do it. T5's on an hour earlier and off later. LED'S for full sun conditions. I have ambient room light in the morning as well to wake things up. I use pin style timers.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's nice to have ramp up and down...for the aesthetics, but not necessary. As mentioned previously, the fish will get used to it. My melanurus wrasse goes to bed at the same time regardless of the lights, meaning, he does not observe daylight savings time..lol.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 47 26.0%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 44 24.3%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 42 23.2%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 44 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back