Ranco thermostat

Wick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any way to set the ranco thermostat less then 1 degree fluctuation? To make it 78* and not range from 78* to 79*?

mamgm2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that I am aware off. Thats where mine has been at for 10+ years and no problems

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine stays rock solid at 78 even with the +1 degree fluctuation as well. I loveeee my ranco.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if I can turn that off or something? Cause mine will go from 78 to 79
Mine did that when I first installed it. What camber do you have your probe in? I moved mine to the skimmer chamber which is where water hits first before my heaters in my fuge chamber. Prior to that I had it in my return chamber and it didn’t yield optimal results in functionality.

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine stays rock solid at 78 even with the +1 degree fluctuation as well. I loveeee my ranco.

Same experience myself.

I use the same controllers on CNC machines at work to open pneumatic valves for heat exchangers and to turn on and off 2-3ton chillers. Rock solid.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you look at the instructions, you will see that there is a setback function and it is adjustable. I believe the units come with the setback at 2 which means the difference between the turn on and turn off points are approx. 1.1 degrees F. You can reduce the setback to 1 which will make the setpoint difference 0.1 degrees F. I always just keep mine at 2 because it is operating my chiller and I don't want it to be short-cycling all the time, but with heaters you probably can go down to 1. My chiller comes on at 79.9 and goes off at 78.5, a a little more than the expected 1.1 differential - but I'd imagine there's going to be some unit by unit variability. Try reducing the setback to 1 and see what happens. FWIW, a swing of 1-2 degrees F really isn't a big deal though I get that it can tweak the old OCD gene a bit LOL.

BTW, most temperature controllers have some kind of setpoint spread. Pretty sure the inkbirds use a setback function also.

Last edited:

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 89 80.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back