Random flow generator.

Bugeater281

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this project will be successful or not. But I’ve been itching to build something and I have a 180g in the works. I would love a closed loop if I could come up with a random flow generator. Luckily I have a 3d printer. So I don’t have much to loose but a few hours.

I initially designed a larger 6 port design, but it would have been a large print. So I designed a smaller square version to at least try and see if the design would work. It’s on the printer right now. Should be done in a few hours(14hr print). I’m hoping it’s at least partly successful, so I can hammer out some flaws and maybe make a better design. If you have Any input or ideas to add, I’d love to hear them. The goal is to come up with a random flow generator that won’t break the bank. I’ll post both designs I’ve come up with so far. Both are built with the idea of using a stepper motor to power them.

6B3332CD-BF46-44D0-990F-B9531F2FF6C6.jpeg

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks kind of like the Super Squirt design.
While I love your enthusiasm I think you might want to hold off on that design because the Squirt had a lot of issue for me. The spinning drum inside would get fine sand and other items in it's path and this would cause the sides to bind and the motor to Jam and break the reduction gears. I also had numerous leak issues at the point where the motor joined into the housing.

2r55mjp.jpg

I really think that power heads like the Vortech have kind of made this kind of thing no longer relevant.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bugeater281

Bugeater281

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks kind of like the Super Squirt design.
While I love your enthusiasm I think you might want to hold off on that design because the Squirt had a lot of issue for me. The spinning drum inside would get fine sand and other items in it's path and this would cause the motor to Jam and break the reduction gears. I also had numerous leak issues at the point where the motor joined into the housing.

I really think that power heads like the Vortech have kind of made this kind of thing no longer relevant.

My tank won’t have sand. And I plan on designing it to have enough clearance to hopefully avoid that. Even if the fit is loose the pump will just push the extra water through other outputs while the main flow with still go through the easiest path.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank won’t have sand. And I plan on designing it to have enough clearance to hopefully avoid that. Even if the fit is loose the pump will just push the extra water through other outputs while the main flow with still go through the easiest path.

Good luck with it, but sand is not the only issue, its also precipitate, tiny rock pieces, just about all the stuff that get caught in a filter sock will make it's way through this thing. You really do need that tight fit because to much leaking into the other outlets will really cut down on your jet type flow.

Anyway best of luck. Here is a link to their website, maybe you can get some tips from looking at what they do. Ocean Motions

Joseph Dodson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with it, but sand is not the only issue, its also precipitate, tiny rock pieces, just about all the stuff that get caught in a filter sock will make it's way through this thing. You really do need that tight fit because to much leaking into the other outlets will really cut down on you flow.

Anyway best of luck. Here is a link to their website, maybe you can get some tips from looking at what they do. Ocean Motions
Put me down for one when you have it ready

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on my experience, you will need some sort of Delrin/nylon bushing or a ceramic bearing if you want it to last more than a few days. I don’t think printed parts will have adequate sealing either.

I have ceramic bearings going in a reef for over 6 months with no issues yet. (Not even removed for cleaning).

OP
OP
Bugeater281

Bugeater281

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on my experience, you will need some sort of Delrin/nylon bushing or a ceramic bearing if you want it to last more than a few days. I don’t think printed parts will have adequate sealing either.

I have ceramic bearings going in a reef for over 6 months with no issues yet. (Not even removed for cleaning).

I actually plan on printing it out of nylon. The one I’m printing is pla(cheaper) and it also smaller. Just so I can see how it actually works. I may experiment with a drum type design also. I’m hoping I can design them so they are cheap to replace. I don’t think plastic designs will hold up for an extended time. I also designed it to use o-rings to seal the main drive shaft.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back