Random Healthy Fairy Wrasse Deaths

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m now at two losses with absolutely no idea what is going on. I lost my pintail wrasse last weekend with absolutely no sign of illness, aggression, or damage in any way. Eating like and pig and swimming around everywhere. Then 3 hours later. Dead. I figured it was an anomaly until now not even a week later, my Orange Back Fairy Wrasse is gone too… same situation. No damage, no disease, eating great literally two hours before I see him laying on the sand bed lifeless.

I’ve had the Orange Back for about 7 months and the Pintail for almost a full year. Both so healthy and happy in my Reefer 425XL…

I QT all my fish and get them eating for 30 days before adding them and have had no signs of illness in my other fish. Everyone is getting along just fine, so no idea what caused this…

I’ve attached some pictures of my gorgeous healthy Orange Back that I just found dead a few minutes ago in case anyone has any insight. I saw nothing other than a healthy fish that died for no reason. I’m just devastated since these were my two favorite fish in the tank. Just my exquisite fairy left from the group of fairy wrasses I have and I really hope he isn’t gone soon too…

1E34779D-5B65-402E-B77B-5BD1E5EE9478.jpeg 60F129D2-CCA3-4618-8D4A-37427946AA57.jpeg

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a theory, I know aquarists who have had fish deaths of this type simply due to stress, a kind of heart attack perhaps (I don't know if it is correct to say so), but it has happened and I also know that wrasses tend to get nervous and jump of the tank. Firefish, Wrasses, Gobies, etc. Several years ago I saw with my own eyes how a purple dartfish got quite nervous out of nowhere, so the fish tried to jump but only took half a body or less out of the water, and immediately went to the bottom practically floating and breathing heavily and he died a few minutes later. Maybe something similar happened here? Is there something in your tank that is stressing your wrasses?

OP
OP
JaaxReef

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a theory, I know aquarists who have had fish deaths of this type simply due to stress, a kind of heart attack perhaps (I don't know if it is correct to say so), but it has happened and I also know that wrasses tend to get nervous and jump of the tank. Firefish, Wrasses, Gobies, etc. Several years ago I saw with my own eyes how a purple dartfish got quite nervous out of nowhere, so the fish tried to jump but only took half a body or less out of the water, and immediately went to the bottom practically floating and breathing heavily and he died a few minutes later. Maybe something similar happened here? Is there something in your tank that is stressing your wrasses?
Interesting... Not that I know of. My other fish keep to themselves. They swim at each other occasionally, but no chasing or aggression. The wrasses I do have have been in the tank for quite some time so it would be odd if it was an environmental stress since nothing has changed except adding a few corals.

As most wrasses do, they do jump into the lid every once in a while during feeding time when they are excited about food. But I don’t think they are scared when they do it.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinda strange.....I have almost the exact same situation. Lost a Xmas Wrasse and a Blue Fairy Wrasse almost a month apart after having them both for year. No signs of disease or fighting and all other fish are fine.

OP
OP
JaaxReef

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinda strange.....I have almost the exact same situation. Lost a Xmas Wrasse and a Blue Fairy Wrasse almost a month apart after having them both for year. No signs of disease or fighting and all other fish are fine.
Yeah, sounds familiar… I love fairy wrasses and thought I was all done stocking my tank. Now I am rethinking adding any more in the future unless I can figure out what is stressing them out or spooking them.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, sounds familiar… I love fairy wrasses and thought I was all done stocking my tank. Now I am rethinking adding any more in the future unless I can figure out what is stressing them out or spooking them.
Yeah I hear ya...unfortunately I have two wrasses coming that have been on order for several months.....I am afraid to add them now. I keep telling myself it is just a coincidence....how can it only be wrasses in a seemingly healthy tank.

OP
OP
JaaxReef

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I hear ya...unfortunately I have two wrasses coming that have been on order for several months.....I am afraid to add them now. I keep telling myself it is just a coincidence....how can it only be wrasses in a seemingly healthy tank.
Right. I still have my exquisite fairy and red lined wrasse in there for now. I hope there aren’t any more surprises.

OP
OP
JaaxReef

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were they small and young when you got them?
They were not. I would say 60-70% full size. Do you think they were just at the end of life span? The odd thing would be that two were lost in the same week, if that was the case…

Last edited:

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were not. I would say 60-70% full size. Do you think they were just at the end of life span? The odd thing would be that two were lost in the same week, if that was the case…
I think it is possible they were at the end of their lifespan. I’m guessing they would normally live for 4-8 years. True, it is strange they both died close together, but I think the possibility does exist. Either way, I’m sorry.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Doubtful… aging fish show signs of aging and tend to slow down. That fish looks fine.

Do you have a soft mesh lid? Are the sides braced or hard plastic on the lid?

I gave up on fairy’s as they would spook and hit their noggen on something and kill themselves. I do have three active cats though and the tank is in a spot people walk by frequently. One fairy died cuz someone came from upstairs and it freaked out and tried to hide behind and acclimation box I had in the tank and crushed itself in the process.

They just too spazzy for my household. I don’t keep fire fish anymore for the same reason. The last one I had got spooked when the power suddenly went out and he slammed right into my bubble tip.

I do not have the same issue with leopards and such. They don’t freak out so bad.

OP
OP
JaaxReef

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doubtful… aging fish show signs of aging and tend to slow down. That fish looks fine.

Do you have a soft mesh lid? Are the sides braced or hard plastic on the lid?

I gave up on fairy’s as they would spook and hit their noggen on something and Jill themselves. I do have three active cats though and the tank is in a spot people walk by frequently. One fairy died cuz someone came from upstairs and it freaked out and slammed into something.

They just too spazzy for my household.
Could be the case, I have a lid that is mesh in the middle, but they have whacked themselves a couple times on the polycarbonate edge when jumping… could have been the case I guess.

Just so odd it would happen to two fish so close together. When it was just the pintail, I didn’t worry too much, since I figured it was a fluke. But once the Orange back was laying dead on the sand last night I was pretty sad and frustrated.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be the case, I have a lid that is mesh in the middle, but they have whacked themselves a couple times on the polycarbonate edge when jumping… could have been the case I guess.

Just so odd it would happen to two fish so close together. When it was just the pintail, I didn’t worry too much, since I figured it was a fluke. But once the Orange back was laying dead on the sand last night I was pretty sad and frustrated.

It’s not uncommon for when fish to jump that they follow the glass up and out. This means they hit the hard polycarbonate part. I have the same thing and it can be an issue. I may not use this type of lid in the future.

Ofc some people have no issues but like I said.. it may depend on the household and activity and even other large active tank mates. I noticed it does not have to be aggression related. Just sudden fast movement can send them flying.

OP
OP
JaaxReef

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not uncommon for when fish to jump that they follow the glass up and out. This means they hit the hard polycarbonate part. I have the same thing and it can be an issue. I may not use this type of lid in the future.
Maybe I’ll stray away from Fairy Wrasses for future stocking and go with something else like a small group of Anthias… I just love the colors so much!

OP
OP
JaaxReef

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Part of me wonders if when the pintail wrasse died it stressed out the orange back somehow since they swam together a lot in the water column. Maybe it was sad to lose a friend? Exquisite wrasse is still looking great today; just ate a nice meal.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 169 67.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back