Random idea

bbearden101

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 30, 2016
Messages
180
Reaction score
53
What state or country do you live in
Arkansas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How hard would it be to raise oysters. Idk say about 20 or 30. Some stuff I've seen people run under gravel filters. I would think a shallow tank would be alright with plenty of sand and maybe a couple rocks. I would specifically be looking for oysters tho that seems like a pretty good headache
 
Its a great headache. I have probably a dozen or so hitchhiker oysters, plus clams and several mussels. The biggest mussel is 5 in. I also have a red scallop, some people cant keep them alive. because the tank is too clean.
I also had two large oysters from an asian market for over a year. They got nuked when a large sponge colony in in my sump died cuz im dumb and dint give them enough flow or light.
The big oysters came from the Baja o California and had been on Ice less than 12 hrs. (dont forget the fresh water dip, it was GROSS what came off)
If your looking to raise snacks I wouldn't bother, oysters grow VERY slow.
 
I was thinking more of trying to harvest pearls snacks would be awesome too tho lol
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 8 5.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 54 34.4%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.4%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new