Randy...where to buy your recipe ingredients Houston, Texas

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to switch over from two part to Randy's recipe #1. I think it's probably better and will save me money.

Anybody know where to get DowFlake, etc...in Houston, Texas??

I know somebody out this way uses it.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 BRS. Their stuff is based on Randy's recipes, with the exception you can purchase baked baking soda directly (Sodium Carbonate, aka soda ash), and therefore only need 2 cups of this to one gallon of RO/DI.

If you wish to make your own alk solution from baking soda, I purchase a big bag from Sam's Club (Arm & Hammer.....I think about 13 pounds), for around $5. If you go this route, and want recipe 1, you bake 2 1/4 cups for an hour. His recipe says 300F, but I have better "conversion" at 350 F, for one hour.

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Magnesium chloride and sulfate is what I'm trying to find in bulk.

Yes, for Randy's recipe. FYI, Magnesium Sulfate is Epsom salt, and can be purchased at your local drug store. For magnesium chloride, I'd suggest BRS. If in colder climates during winter, MAG Flakes is an alternative....it's an ice melt product....and that's what I use.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm...well, I already get two part. So what's the difference? Will I save money?

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well back in the day, before BRS sold the chemicals for Randy's two part, we relied on finding the stuff at our local hardware stores. I purchased a 50 pound bag of Preston Driveway heat for less than $20 back in 2007 (for the Calc part), and similarly a 50 pound bag of MAG flakes for less than $20 for the Mag part. The Alk part was an approximate 13 pound bag of Arm & Hammer Baking Soda for around $5, and finally a box of Epsom Salts (magnesium sulfate) from my local drug store. I can't remember the price or quantity because the last (and first time) I purchased this Epsom was back in 2007....but it couldn't have been much. I'm still working with all these original purchases, except for baking soda....I've recently purchase a second 13 pounds. The MAG Flakes will last me until I die.....the Preston is maybe about 1/3 down from full, and I might need to purchase more Epsom salts in the next five years or so. So for me it's a tremendous cost savings. I can only guess that I spend 10-15 dollars a year to dose my 90 gallon DT.

Slm222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's my reason for looking for some other than Brs. I figure if I buy in bulk it would be cheaper than Brs.

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the issue is where you live. I just so happen to live in the northeast where we get snow and ice in the winter. Therefore the ice melt products are available in our local hardware stores during the winter months. If you live in warmer climates, I'm not sure where you'd find these produces at a reasonable cost.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True that, maybe in Houston I can find them because it's a large city.

Seems like the cost reduction is worth it!

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 168 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back