Randy's Tank and Learn Thread

Clogging with bacteria slime? I lose flow rate to it overtime in a reactor.

I think it was particulate detritus.
 
Hair Algae

I may need to rethink my husbandry if these new snails do not make some headway on the GHA. It’s getting worse, not better. I may consider vinegar dosing the way I did on my last tank. I never had such issues with it.

I also never dosed trace elements that way I do now with the AFR. I might be just driving it too much. Last tank I mostly just dosed kalk and fish food and vinegar, and while it was by no means perfect, neither cyano nor gha was ever this bad.

IMG_6354.jpeg
 
Are your foxface and YT picking at it? Mine would for sure gobble that up. Looks like it might have cyano on areas? Maybe that’s why if not.

Kalk does miracles in many ways 👍 my tank sure turned around once I turned on the Kalk dosing for what it’s worth.

Any tuxedo urchins? They are good and fast workers. Love my pair.
 
No cyano is visible since the Chemi clean.

Those fish may eat some. They are not getting any algae from me at the moment to encourage it, but they also eat the flakes and pellets the other fish get.
 
Last edited:
I don't know if they're all like this, but I had a pretty bad hair algae thing developing on my overflow, back glass, some of the rocks, etc. My rabbitfish and Mimic Tang didn't do much with it, the snails munched on it but weren't really making that big of an impact. I added a bristletooth tang and I swear that stuff was gone in a week. I am not sure if you have room or desire for one, but it did the trick for me. I added him to a tank where the Mimic was the undisputed king, and was worried about that, but they squared off for about an hour and have been thick as thieves since then.


Hair Algae

I may need to rethink my husbandry if these new snails do not make some headway on the GHA. It’s getting worse, not better. I may consider vinegar dosing the way I did on my last tank. I never had such issues with it.

I also never dosed trace elements that way I do now with the AFR. I might be just driving it too much. Last tank I mostly just dosed kalk and fish food and vinegar, and while it was by no means perfect, neither cyano nor gha was ever this bad.

IMG_6354.jpeg
 
I added a bristletooth tang and I swear that stuff was gone in a week.
That´s my experiences with bristletooth tang´s too. IME - they are also outstanding diatom-eaters too. It´s help i they are a little bit hungry IMO.

Sincerely Lasse
 
My white tail bristletooth destroys all and any algae so I agree. He even is constantly grazing the sand bed. I’d be afraid of adding one now with Randy already having an established YT. My YT tried for two weeks to murder my newly added WT. Even after days in acclimation box then even had to split the tank in half with a divider for a week. Eventually they just had to fight it out. Mirrors covering all sides helped slow it down from constant fighting. Eventually after weeks of fighting they decided to play nice. I wouldn’t try again without removing the established tang and then reintroducing both at the same time outside of the DT in a QT/observation tank set up.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 25.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 32.1%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 6 21.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new