Rant: UV Sterilizer Mounting

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Am I the only one who finds it annoying that UV sterilizers don’t come with some form of integrated or at least, included mounting solution?

How do these manufacturers expect you to install these devices? It’s akin to buying a new car but saying “sorry, wheels not included.”

I know of the Neat Aquatics mounts, but I think it’s silly that I need to spend $140 on mounting my Pentair 40 watt UV when the company could seemingly very easily mold an integrated mounting solution onto the housing.

If you know of any out of the box mounting solutions, I’d love to see them! I’ve looked at some PVC pipe mounts, but I’m uncertain if they’ll open wide enough to fit the UV in without being able to slide it in from one of the ends.

B9273B52-C38B-4175-80D7-90D6BFEB19FD.jpeg

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know what model you have but it probably should have come with stainless mounting tabs that install on the bolts at either end of the unit. I have a lifegard which is a pentair knock off and it came with four tabs. They are a pain regardless. The 3d printed ones are cleaner and somewhat easier when it comes to maintenance. I would check the parts diagram in the manual or call to see if it was supposed to come with mounting tabs.

OP
OP
trevorhiller

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don’t know what model you have but it probably should have come with stainless mounting tabs that install on the bolts at either end of the unit. I have a lifegard which is a pentair knock off and it came with four tabs. They are a pain regardless. The 3d printed ones are cleaner and somewhat easier when it comes to maintenance. I would check the parts diagram in the manual or call to see if it was supposed to come with mounting tabs.
It’s the Pentair 40 watt UV unit. No mention or inclusion of mounting tabs in the box or manual.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s the Pentair 40 watt UV unit. No mention or inclusion of mounting tabs in the box or manual.
Yeah that would tick me off too. They must have changed the design as I was positive brackets were included in the past. Even the point of purchase should let you know that brackets would be needed and are not included

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use these in a few Aqua UV setups as I bought second hand, they didnt have the original mounting brackets.

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mounting problem is unique to Pentair. I think this is because our industry is an after thought. They are mainly interested in Pool and Pond use and in these applications, the unit is often suspended in the air with hard plumbing. Aqua Ultraviolet and Lifegard both have mounting options and they are the two biggest competitors in our industry.

OP
OP
trevorhiller

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The mounting problem is unique to Pentair. I think this is because our industry is an after thought. They are mainly interested in Pool and Pond use and in these applications, the unit is often suspended in the air with hard plumbing. Aqua Ultraviolet and Lifegard both have mounting options and they are the two biggest competitors in our industry.
I suppose, however, you'd think they would make some sort of OEM mount to go with them since they do market them for aquarium use as well. I'm doing a basement build and could potentially "suspend" it inline from some PVC, but I still worry about the weight of it flexing the pipes. I imagine they are quite heavy full of water. The 40 watt Pentair looks like a bazooka when you hold it up. :grinning-face-with-sweat:

Even my smaller 15 Watt UV sterilizer by Aqua Ultraviolet didn't come with a mounting system. Even more annoying, the body has a slight taper to it which makes PVC-style mounts difficult to repurpose. Mine is currently suspended from some eye bolts via zip ties. Looks terrible, but it works. Obviously this isn't an option for any of the larger units due to weight considerations once full of water.

Bertian84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love this! I don't know why I didn't think of these but I'm going to check them out! Thanks for sharing that!
Your welcome. We got ours and it didn't come with mounts either so I was scratching my head for a while and just decided to go to lowes to have a look. You can trim them down shorter but I figured it wouldn't hurt to have a few screws in each bracket. And they have many different sizes too.

paintman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same Pentair UV unit. Easy to mount. I just got 2 extra large hose clamps, i think around 10" from the hardware store. Drilled hole through center of clamp and mounted it to the surface with a sheetrock screw. You can kind of see it it in the pic. simple easy and cheap ($5). if the maufacturer would make a mount it would add another 50-100 bucks to the overall price probably.
UKJ5Jyv.jpg

OP
OP
trevorhiller

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have the same Pentair UV unit. Easy to mount. I just got 2 extra large hose clamps, i think around 10" from the hardware store. Drilled hole through center of clamp and mounted it to the surface with a sheetrock screw. You can kind of see it it in the pic. simple easy and cheap ($5). if the maufacturer would make a mount it would add another 50-100 bucks to the overall price probably.
UKJ5Jyv.jpg
Thank you! I did think about hose clamps too, but I wasn't sure if they were robust enough to support it.

Love the reef room by the way! I am setting up something similar in my basement. Any pro tips in regards to that? Your system looks well thought out!

OP
OP
trevorhiller

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I recently had a large order for some equipment from Aquacave.com that got me about $40 in free rewards. I figured I’d try to order some of the pvc pipe clamps with them to try. No harm if it didn’t work has I only paid $5 for shipping.

The #80 clic clamp worked perfectly! Sizing was a little confusing because it says 3” and the Pentair 40 watt is 3.5” OD but I think this should work great.

If anyone finds this in the future looking for a mounting solution cheaper than the Neat Aquatics mounts, here is the link:

$25 (if you pay full price) is certainly better than $150+
974CB147-59A2-4BB3-BEC5-44F1EF4F379A.jpeg DDAC8E57-88D4-4B3A-86C0-63FB8268DFC0.jpeg

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Lifegard Pro Max unit that I have comes with mounting legs. If you're looking to mount it and yours doesn't come with mounting hardware, then I'd likely do PVC pipe hook hangers as shown above. Otherwise pipe hose clamps to mount vertically.

Side note, @MarineandReef Jaron I didn't know you guys were on the forum. I get all my replacement Lifegard Pro Max UV parts from you guys. A+++ buying experiences.

BiGGiePauls33

YT/GreatBeardedReef and IG/GreatBeardedReef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I recently had a large order for some equipment from Aquacave.com that got me about $40 in free rewards. I figured I’d try to order some of the pvc pipe clamps with them to try. No harm if it didn’t work has I only paid $5 for shipping.

The #80 clic clamp worked perfectly! Sizing was a little confusing because it says 3” and the Pentair 40 watt is 3.5” OD but I think this should work great.

If anyone finds this in the future looking for a mounting solution cheaper than the Neat Aquatics mounts, here is the link:

$25 (if you pay full price) is certainly better than $150+
974CB147-59A2-4BB3-BEC5-44F1EF4F379A.jpeg DDAC8E57-88D4-4B3A-86C0-63FB8268DFC0.jpeg
Appreciate the research on this. I had the Neat Aquatics but the quick releases broke over time and with a new build I really didn't want to spend another $60 to order another set, guess I'll put the $0 savings towards coral, thanks again.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 23 17.2%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 56 41.8%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 17 12.7%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 5.2%
Back