OP
OP
RareEarthCorals

RareEarthCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thank you. The Martix I use is a Seachem product and not exclusive to Petco. They may sell it there but I purchased mine from Amazon. Its really nothing more than pumice stone. It just works, so far six weeks and no water change nitrates zero. The only water added is top off. I do keep everything else clean.

trio91

NJRC (New Jersey Reefers Club)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you have it (matrix) in a bag or just laid it out loosely in the tanks rear section? i am asking because i have always seen it and am in the process of starting a new 10g IM tank....looks like something i could place in my rear compartment

OP
OP
RareEarthCorals

RareEarthCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rear Compartment in a bag. Its a set it and forget it. I only take it out to clean in off. It takes about 8-10 weeks for a solid bacterial colony to form. I see and read of people doing frequent water changes with high nitrates and using multiple things to reduce them. This is about as easy as it gets.

OP
OP
RareEarthCorals

RareEarthCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Secret is put it in your sump, keep it submerged, and just take it out to rinse it off with tank water once a month, thats it!

OP
OP
RareEarthCorals

RareEarthCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Goni from WWC finally is extending outwards

image.jpg

OP
OP
RareEarthCorals

RareEarthCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update of my Lobophyilla it is almost two months old and has added 1/2 inch in diameter. Under Actinics this thing glows.
image.jpg

OP
OP
RareEarthCorals

RareEarthCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello BaritoneJP, thanks. Looking At your testing log May thru August it looks like you are controlling your nitrates just fine. The nitrate cycle is cyclical in nature and it isnt increasing in your tank overtime. Nitrates compound in a tank and water changes help but do not remove all of it. That is where compounding comes in. If that was all you did (water changes) you would see your nitrates going up.
I found feeding less (every other day) helps alot and a great clean up crew helps. I have a liter of matrix which is more than is called for. I keep it fully submerged and only take it out to clean off the detrious off the bag. I clean some part of the tank every three days.

OP
OP
RareEarthCorals

RareEarthCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Steve&Mari, I have a lot of time on my hands and looking at past hobbies that I use to love. So far the tank has been so much fun and fulfilling. So I spend most of my time tinkering on my good days.

OP
OP
RareEarthCorals

RareEarthCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the zone today!! Looking over the tank numbers are right, blossoms are fully extended, colors are vibrant, happy day today.

image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 86 45.7%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 85 45.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 17 9.0%
Back