Rare Earth Corals Biocube 29 Tank Build

iyad_nadi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice set-up
What fish you're planning for take care from ur damsels they will be very aggressive

OP
OP
RareEarthCorals

RareEarthCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank you, I was planning on removing them at some point. Replacing them with a spotted hawkfish and two black ice clowns. I may leave the largest damsel.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, nice update, the tank looks fantastic. Damsels are the bomb.

OP
OP
RareEarthCorals

RareEarthCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Six month Anniversary Recap
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1445737020.072616.jpg

Equipment changes/additions

Removed hood and installed Hydra 26 HD
Disposed of the Corallife skimmer replaced with AquaticLife MiniSkimmer 115
Added Tunze ATO 3152

Lost

One only lost, a damsel to fighting.
All corals are alive, well, and growing.

Added

Green Leather Cabbage
Rhodactis Deep Red Mushroom
Purple and green Acan
Acropora
Blastomussa Merletti

Dosing

Magnesium, Buffer, and Calcium
Stronium
iodide
Reef A/B

Feeding

Microvore Brightwell
Flake Spirulina 20

My numbers

7.8-8.2 PH
0 Ammonia
0 Nitrites
0-5.0 Nitrates
0.2- .5 Phosphates
1300-1600 Mag
7.8-9.0 DKH
400-470 Calcium

I have enjoyed throughly returning to the reef hobby. I have found that a 29 gallon cube is perfect for my lifestyle and easily managed. No more 300+gallon 3-4 tanks at a time. This is manageable and 10% of the cost of running large tanks. I have vacationed ten days at a time and have sufficient automation to extend to 14 days at a time without intervention. My wife and friends have all enjoyed my tank fulfilling their viewing pleasure. It has added to my life.

Buying equipment, supplies, and corals has been manageable and affordable as far as disposable income goes. It is still easy to have several thousand wrapped up in a 29 gallon cube. The question to answer is would you do this again and what would you change?

I would do this again in a heartbeat and the small issues with lighting and junk equipment was kept at a minimum. What helps/helped was researching, reviews, and researching again. Differently, I would have purchased a IM40 gallon and supplied my own lighting and equipment. Biologically I wouldn't change a thing. I was lucky, jumped on issues, and keep algae at a minimum. A Biocube is great for a minimalist approach at soft corals. Any sps or advance corals need more thus the improvements in lighting.

It is a passion and worth the investment in time and effort. The future will include clams and some sps. I have a few other fish in mind but as with this hobby, "I am in no hurry"! All the best to your endeavors, and if I can help in anyway, please know Im here for anyone.

inetjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks great REC! Starting to get some diatoms on my rocks at this point. I had 4 red legged hermits but I think I lost one. I only get three now that come out for food that I can see. Nothing else added yet outside of my Aquamaxx hob-1 skimmer. Still working on getting my nitrates down which are sitting around 10 to 20. Phosphate are at 0.00. Haven't tested for anything else yet. Can't wait to start adding some more stuff to the tank! But I agree, I wish I'd have gone with an IM40 as well to start out with now.

OP
OP
RareEarthCorals

RareEarthCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Morangus, Glad to hear your on your way, after a few bumps, but we all suffer a bit in this hobby. Im starting to get a bit of GHA. Starting Hydrogen Peroxide tomorrow and spot treat. Ive got some locked up Phosphates in my rocks and getting no readings. I know its there so more ferrous oxide to get it under control. No biggie but part of the struggle. Also a bit of cyano creepin in the substrate so all part of the process. Overall Im happy and love my tank. At least the struggles keep me busy.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I missed the update, man that Leptoseris is stunning. I am so on the wall about getting one of those.

Nanso are great tanks agreed. If you've done the big systems the ease of a nano is very enjoyable.

OP
OP
RareEarthCorals

RareEarthCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Tahoe61, Im so surprised at the growth. It has almost doubled in growth. It was the size of an eraser head. Those eyes glow bright especially under the Hydra.

Back