Rare symbiotic relationship

Thunder_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Several months ago I acquired a white spot hermit crab, as I’ve stated before I really like hermits so I couldn’t pass him up. The idea being he could live in the fuge portion of my sump until I could set him a tank up. Well that’s finally done but not the point of this post.

after a few days of observing him in my sump I noticed something moving around inside his shell. Then I realized it was a small shrimp. The shrimp lived inside the crabs shell and would pop out to the edge while the crab was eating. I hunted hi and low on the internet trying to Id the shrimp and finally , through desperation I blindly emailed a marine biologist at the University of Hawaii. He emailed me back and identified the shrimp as a Aretopsis amabilis or hermit crab alpheid shrimp. They are both still doing well and it’s fun to watch them. The crab will tumble off rocks and send the little guy twirling he scrambles quickly to get back into the shell. I’m not sure what the shrimp does for the crab but I’m pretty sure the shrimp gets crumbs from the crabs messy eating. The shrimp is very hard to to photograph as he’s very tiny , maybe 2 cm long and constantly moving, but here is the best I’ve been able to do.

FB9F5C4D-C4DC-4F98-A024-89AF3C5C6C7B.jpeg 3ED28958-AC42-4A49-9FDC-B47EA81BC435.jpeg 86A3618E-CA55-4272-94BF-6302E4221896.jpeg

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Super cool! First time seeing this one!

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s beautiful nothing better than a healthy beneficial relationship!

let’s just hope they don’t file for divorce in a few months….

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

sixline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure what the shrimp does for the crab but I’m pretty sure the shrimp gets crumbs from the crabs messy eating.
According to wikipedia, there are three distinct types of symbiotic relationships. Perhaps the crab does not benefit at all.

mutualistic: both species benefit
commensalistic: one species benefits, while the other sees no impact
parasitic: one species benefits, the other is negatively impacted

I do see it, hard to see it.
That's why they call them shrimp! :)

katonge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Several months ago I acquired a white spot hermit crab, as I’ve stated before I really like hermits so I couldn’t pass him up. The idea being he could live in the fuge portion of my sump until I could set him a tank up. Well that’s finally done but not the point of this post.

after a few days of observing him in my sump I noticed something moving around inside his shell. Then I realized it was a small shrimp. The shrimp lived inside the crabs shell and would pop out to the edge while the crab was eating. I hunted hi and low on the internet trying to Id the shrimp and finally , through desperation I blindly emailed a marine biologist at the University of Hawaii. He emailed me back and identified the shrimp as a Aretopsis amabilis or hermit crab alpheid shrimp. They are both still doing well and it’s fun to watch them. The crab will tumble off rocks and send the little guy twirling he scrambles quickly to get back into the shell. I’m not sure what the shrimp does for the crab but I’m pretty sure the shrimp gets crumbs from the crabs messy eating. The shrimp is very hard to to photograph as he’s very tiny , maybe 2 cm long and constantly moving, but here is the best I’ve been able to do.

FB9F5C4D-C4DC-4F98-A024-89AF3C5C6C7B.jpeg 3ED28958-AC42-4A49-9FDC-B47EA81BC435.jpeg 86A3618E-CA55-4272-94BF-6302E4221896.jpeg
That is so cool!

AcanSkywalker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm so glad I ran across your post, it's awesome! I especially appreciate our hobby for the symbiotic relationships, God only knows how many more are out there, with so many of His wonderful creations yet to be discovered in our vast oceans they might be countless! Thanks for sharing this one!

OP
OP
Thunder_reef

Thunder_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE

The crab went dormant for several days and then molted and changed shells. Sadly I think the small shrimp didn’t make it through that ordeal. I haven’t seen him inside the new shell at all and that was 3 days ago.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE

The crab went dormant for several days and then molted and changed shells. Sadly I think the small shrimp didn’t make it through that ordeal. I haven’t seen him inside the new shell at all and that was 3 days ago.
I’m sure he’s in your rock work somewhere and will pop up in future

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 94 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back