Raspberry Pi Webcam in Apex Fusion

  • Thread starter Thread starter Tastee
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 19, 2018
Messages
1,123
Reaction score
870
Location
Sydney, Australia
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All, I just have to share my birthday present from my son. I have been trying to get a webcam connected to my Apex dashboard for a while now but the camera I was using did not seem to be suitable for port forwarding - or if it was, I couldn’t figure it out!

So for my birthday last Friday my son built me TasteeCam - a Raspberry Pi based webcam printed from his 3D printer.

b08745963b4505b064743e47c44536e0.jpg


Linked in Apex Fusion.
9ea72c808816768dfa920440608ce6e0.jpg


Here is the feed: 110.20.69.122:8080/camera/livestream.m3u8

If anyone wants any of the details of the camera please let me know.
 
All, I just have to share my birthday present from my son. I have been trying to get a webcam connected to my Apex dashboard for a while now but the camera I was using did not seem to be suitable for port forwarding - or if it was, I couldn’t figure it out!

So for my birthday last Friday my son built me TasteeCam - a Raspberry Pi based webcam printed from his 3D printer.

b08745963b4505b064743e47c44536e0.jpg


Linked in Apex Fusion.
9ea72c808816768dfa920440608ce6e0.jpg


Here is the feed: 110.20.69.122:8080/camera/livestream.m3u8

If anyone wants any of the details of the camera please let me know.
So since it’s PI based how does it hook into the APEX
 
So since it’s PI based how does it hook into the APEX

The camera itself is not directly connected to the Apex controller. It is simply sitting on a cabinet next to the tank.

The video stream it is presenting is port forwarded through my router and the URL above is the external address, which I have then added into Apex Fusion as an MPEG-4 (H.264) stream.

I had to tune down the video size to get this to work - not sure if that is a limitation on my side (upload bandwidth) or the Fusion side, or both. A 240x320 stream seems to work ok.
 
I’m new to this myself, and my son built it, so bear with me...

The device is just a small Raspberry Pi unit, running headless, connected to my Wifi - he configured that by dropping a configuration file directly onto the SD card that is used for the file system and letting it boot. I’d have to google what he did there again, but it seems a fairly well documented and standard process.

It is running Raspberry Pi Zero I believe, and is using raspi-live for the streaming. This site explains how raspi-live is used.

https://medium.com/@jaredtoddpetersen/home-security-live-streaming-with-raspberry-pi-f9293efca7ba

Seems pretty easy to configure and use but I’m sure it took my son some trial and error to get it working perfectly. I have been able to SSH into the device to change configuration, reboot etc.
 
Is your tastee camera still up and running. The case he made is great. I know this is a very old thread but I’m working on this project right now.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new