Rasta help

Just_Pete

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My small Rasta colony is not doing well. See middle of pic.

Got these in on Friday with a bunch of corals, including other zoas. As you can tell others have opened up nicely but from day one, the rastas not so much.

I can see maybe three heads trying to open but nothing.

Salinty: 1026
Alk: 10
Temp: 77.8
Xr15 at 50% and t5 on for 4 hrs.
Medium/low flow

All corals were dipped in coral Rx for 10min. And since Friday I’ve done two water changes.

Any idea of what’s goin on? No signs of pests or infection. All other frags doing well.

7C3B195E-44CE-4BAE-ADF2-855375FEB73F.jpeg

Brad Waddell Wrath's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My small Rasta colony is not doing well. See middle of pic.

Got these in on Friday with a bunch of corals, including other zoas. As you can tell others have opened up nicely but from day one, the rastas not so much.

I can see maybe three heads trying to open but nothing.

Salinty: 1026
Alk: 10
Temp: 77.8
Xr15 at 50% and t5 on for 4 hrs.
Medium/low flow

All corals were dipped in coral Rx for 10min. And since Friday I’ve done two water changes.

Any idea of what’s goin on? No signs of pests or infection. All other frags doing well.

7C3B195E-44CE-4BAE-ADF2-855375FEB73F.jpeg
Looks like your tank is young. How much flow do you have on them? What are your parameters? What kits are you using to test?

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A) take closer look at them to see if you can see any pests (red bugs, nudis, aiptasia, etc.) or disease (zoa pox).
B) if you don't see anything, test all your parameters
C) if everything is fine, give them time. They are still acclimating. Maybe lower them in the tank.

Brad Waddell Wrath's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A) take closer look at them to see if you can see any pests (red bugs, nudis, aiptasia, etc.) or disease (zoa pox).
C) if everything is fine, give them time. They are still acclimating. Maybe lower them in the tank.
I have mine up high with medium flow.

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should also mention I got 8 zoa frags back in January, and I stil have 1 that is acting like this. They were fine a week after I got them, but two weeks ago my tank sprung a leak that I could not repair, so I moved everything to a new, larger tank. 7 of the 8 zoas are fine and happy, but the one only has 2 to 3 polyps open at the moment. I think previously where it was in the new tank, the shadows caused by the rocks were causing it to not get enough light, so I moved it on Sunday. I am watching it and checking it each day in case there is maybe just something bugging it, but otherwise I am leaving it alone so it can adjust to the new light source.

OP
OP
Just_Pete

Just_Pete

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flow and coral type are admittedly something I'm still figuring out. For say softies and LPS, is there anything about my current scape that would be non-ideal for them?
Looks like your tank is young. How much flow do you have on them? What are your parameters? What kits are you using to test?
You should be running your lights longer. Post the rest of your levels.
I have mine up high with medium flow.

Medium flow with mid level placement on the rocks.

Using Hannah alk and Red Sea reefer test kits. Ammonia is at 0, PH 8.2, both tested at 10 for alk.

Tank is one month old, cycled with Bio-Spira.

No clear signs of pest on them. When I dipped, I used a magnifying glass and flash light to make sure all was good.

My Eco XR15 G4 Pro light schedule below. Running my T5's for 4hrs in the middle of my Eco schedule.

Screen Shot 2020-02-18 at 9.26.04 PM.png

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brightly colored zoas tend to do better higher up in the tank keeps them bright at least from my experience. I will use a turkey baster and clean off the detritus so they do not develop a film over them that can prevent the polyps from opening. I dose vit c and iodine for my zoas

AD2B3768-E206-4527-88E0-B839F18F9871.jpeg 92CCE1E3-1AF9-4156-8E9C-29DD3BA9315E.jpeg

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's just weird that other zoas are opened up and seem to be doing fine while these guys are not. I have bowtie zoas placed even higher elsewhere in the tank and they're doing great.
Well, corals can be funny. Keep in mind, they may look like plants, but they are animals. And not all animals even within the same species will act the same. I have noticed that some corals I have act differently than others of the same kind.

Take my aussie lords. One kills and eats anything that lands on its mouths, and another ignores things that land on it, and the third seems to decide based on what it is that lands on it.

Or heck, look at my Indigo Discosoma. Normally, people say to put all mushrooms towards the bottom in low light. My Indigo Discosoma (and now too its baby) hated that. I had to move it up closer to the light when it was in my 16 gallon Biocube LED at the top of my rockwork. And it got huge and happy. Since moving everything to my 29 gallon, I was worried it would be unhappy now it is further from the top, but it seems to be fine. It is on the move, but it was like that before I switched tanks, so once it disconnects from its remaining part of it foot that is still on the frag, I expect it to be all big and happy again.

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are they opened up at all?
Oh yea they are open, but you tick them off(bump the frag rack they're on, look at them sideways,etc) and they are the last to open back up. I have other zoas I bought at the same time, Gobstoppers, Fire and Ice, Dragon Eyes that are growing like weeds. At the same time I have the Rastas,Scrambled Eggs, Sunny D's that just live but haven't added a new polyp in months. Meanwhile SPS and LPS grows like no tomorrow--go figure.

OP
OP
Just_Pete

Just_Pete

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The appear to have a film on them covering the polyps use a turkey baster or syringe or something of the like to remove the film so they can open

Took a turkey baster to them last night and this morning. Three heads seem to be opening up. Fingers crossed.

IMG_1481.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back