Rattling/Grinding Sicce Pump

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Geo )18 came with a Sicce pump and within a month or so of having it, it started rattling and grinding. It’s by far the loudest thing in my tank and I need to do something about it.

Any ideas on why it might be so loud? Is this the sound of cavitation? If so, why is it happening?

I took it apart a few months ago and put it back together...no difference. I’d take it apart again, but draining my calcium reactor is a pretty big pain. I’d almost rather have another pump on hand so I don’t have to do it twice.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little rio is what came with my lifereef calcium reactor. Maybe toss it and buy a new small sicce or better a new impellar magnet for the 1 you got. Might save u a lil.
D

OP
OP
sawdonkey

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, yeah, I could replace it. I emailed Geo and they thought that the pump might be missing the rubber bushing on the shaft....but since I’d never taken the pump apart before this happened, I cannot see how that would be the issue?

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a bushing is worn out, (or missing).
I would take it apart. Can you put a valve on each line for future easy removal?

OP
OP
sawdonkey

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a bushing is worn out, (or missing).
I would take it apart. Can you put a valve on each line for future easy removal?

Completely removed my calcium reactor tonight, disassembled the pump. Everything looks as good as new inside. Bushings are good. Magnets are good. No corrosion. Shaft is good.

I reassembled the whole thing...same noise as before....

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Send that video to GEO with an explanation & tell him to send a new pump.
It should be under warranty.

OP
OP
sawdonkey

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Send that video to GEO with an explanation & tell him to send a new pump.
It should be under warranty.

Thanks, yeah, I did. They suggested that the rubber bushing that hold the drive shaft were missing....which is t true. I emailed back to let them know and I’ve heard nothing.

OP
OP
sawdonkey

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I solved this mystery today. The rubber grommet at the bottom of the reactor was leaking and sucking in air. The loud sound was the sound of the air going through the pump. This explains the excess gas in my reactor too. I’m guessing my reactor well stay tuned better now too and I’m hoping that I won’t be putting so much CO2 in my tank to help with keeping PH up.

Back