Raw shrimp to start cycle?

booth2010

Newb but eager to learn!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I read that you can throw in a "table shrimp" into an aquarium to start cycling the tank. So literally just go to grocery store buy a raw shrimp and just throw it in and watch it rot? Should I pull it out at some point or let it rot until completely gone? Its for a 30 gal with a 10 gal sump so I would assume 1 normal size shrimp, maybe 2 small, would work fine? IDK i hate not knowing anything but thats why im here to learn from all yall! Knowledge is power!

benny z

coral care giver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
use pure clear ammonia instead. same grocery store; different isle. should be in the cleaning isle.

just put a few drops in - DROPS. test ammonia an hour later and i'm sure you'll be good to go.

much less stink.

gtbarsi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend you use DrTim's Aquatics Ammonium chloride... All of the ammonia I found in grocery, hardware, and other big box stores have other things in it, some times labeled surfactants. Long story they are cleaning compounds, and you do not want them in your tank!

As a reference here is one link where you can get Dr Tim's... Amazon.com: DrTim's Aquatics Ammonium chloride for Aquarium: Pet Supplies

NC2WA

Angelfish Whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dr tims or instant ocean bio spira does the same thing...call me old fashioned, but I rather get some cured live rock to "seed" my tank and just wait for nature to do its thing.

DaveMorris

MACNA2016 Co-Chair
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dr tims or instant ocean bio spira does the same thing...call me old fashioned, but I rather get some cured live rock to "seed" my tank and just wait for nature to do its thing.

I agree with this. Get a few pieces of live rock and use that. I would never pour ammonia into my tank, even as a few drops. Let nature do what she does.

bigfoot86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Raw shrimp will work just fine. Once it starts decaying, you'll see an ammonia spike. Or you can seed it with a couple pieces of live rock.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lay the raw shrimp in a small fish net, and lay the net in the water. The net will keep the shrimp from getting all over the place as it deteriorates. You will leave the shrimp in throughout the cycle, this will build up your bacteria rather well.

OP
OP
booth2010

booth2010

Newb but eager to learn!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess the old decaying matter is what causes the ammonia? Couldnt that take longer though? Im not looking to rush but I would love to have the tank up and start stocking within a few months

jedidad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or just add your own urine to the tank. Urine is free. Trust me it works. That is how I cycled mine.

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or just add your own urine to the tank. Urine is free. Trust me it works. That is how I cycled mine.

Copycat! whooops, did I just type that out loud...... I see nothing.... I know nothing...

Cheers, Todd

Dalmatia

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old-fashioned is using your own pee!!!! The best thing about it,,, it's true, if your healthy that is! Plus it's free and just what your fish will do

PapaRod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be my first post but i have cycled 6 reef tanks w/raw shrimp. depending on size of tank it's 1/2 -2 shrimp. Placing it under the sand.
It's best to avoid unwanted fish to start a tank, you need some thing for the bacteria to feed on.Unwanted fish is the ones you do not really want in your tank. after it cycled.Cause you really need to place all the live rock at once, and either you are going to set w/a fish trap or tare your tank apart to catch those little buggers.. depending it take about 2 to 4 weeks to cycle totally .

PapaRod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cycling stages are nitrates,nitrites and ammonia is the last step of the cycle.
It does not matter how you are going to cycle a tank .The cycling stages are all the same from salt water to fresh,
Test it w/ a cheap test kit , paper strips , that will do all 3 at once.. waiting is the hardest part lol

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Close, but it's the other way around.
Ammonia is produced by decomposition and waste (poo, etc.) The bacteria must grow to process it to nitrite, and from nitrite to nitrate. A tank is considered cycled when there is sufficient bacteria to accomplish this process so quickly that you never see the ammonia or nitrite on your test kit.

The bacteria must increase to accomodate the additional load of any new specimens, which is the main reason that stocking needs to be done slowly. Otherwise, you risk overwhelming your current cycle with the new ammonia source, causing a spike (also known as a minicycle) until the bacteria catch up.

A second piece is the denitrification cycle, wherein bacteria further break the nitrate down into nitrogen gas. This part is not what people are referring to when they say the tank is "cycled," though.

Last edited:

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
use pure clear ammonia instead. same grocery store; different isle. should be in the cleaning isle.

just put a few drops in - DROPS. test ammonia an hour later and i'm sure you'll be good to go.

much less stink.

It's impossible to buy ammonia around here that doesn't have soap or a sudsing agent added, so be wary!

-Matt

reeferaddict420

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As said before just use a couple pieces of live rock and maybe a scoop of live sand from LFS or another reefer.. The shrimp will help.. This should only take a couple weeks to a month to cycle thru.. You should get a bottle of microbactir from brightwell or something similar as you need to build up the bacteria in your tank.. Forget about everything else..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 37.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back