Razor vs. Radion

jpines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently running a maxspect razor 160w over my 37 gallon mixed reef setup. I'm only 2 months in, but am fixing to upgrade to a 65 gallon and move everything in my 37 over. The footprint on my current tank is 30x12, and the 65 is 38x18. I just purchased 2 ecotech mp10wes along with a reef link, and I really like the idea of being able to control my light and powerbeads through my iOS device. I guess my question is...Is it worth it to buy a radion (possibly a pro) just to be able to customize lighting through my phone or tablet? Is the light itself that much better? I do plan on keeping, or trying to keep, some SPS and LPS.

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
well you will also need the reeflink to be able to use it through your phone and tablet. So thats another $100 purchase if you purchase it with the radion for teh sale now..if you dont the reeflink is $199

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
++++++ on the radion.
You already have the Vortech pumps with a reeflink you mention.
Yesterday Ecotech announced that the BETA program is open to all.
You can intergrade your vortech pumps and Radion all in the new designed ESL program.
As bonus you can also if you ever buy a Dropcam bring that into the ESL and watch your tank while at work.
You can set it as a background view while in the program to change or program your schedules for pumps or light.

EcoSmart Live Beta announced with Dropcam support and VorTech integration

OP
OP
jpines

jpines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Anyone have experience with the pro vs regular radian? Is it worth the extra $$$?

SloppyJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the pro. Coverage on a 38" tank is going to be tough. I think you would need 2. I have 1 gen 3 pro over a 30x30x24 cube.

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a Gen3 over my 40breeder that is 36" with the wide angle lenses and it covers just fine. Ecotech told me them self 1 unit with the wide angle lenses is fine for my 40breeder

OP
OP
jpines

jpines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone having good growth and results with the regular and pro? Growing spa?

SloppyJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Gen3 over my 40breeder that is 36" with the wide angle lenses and it covers just fine. Ecotech told me them self 1 unit with the wide angle lenses is fine for my 40breeder

Good to know! I have some disco effect with my pro. I've heard the wide angle lenses help with that.Can you comment on any changes?

atlorange

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I changed from the 120w Maxspect to Radion G3 Pro. Couldn't be happier. Growth has definitely increased since the switch. Love the control of Radion and Vortech via Apex WXM module.

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
yea i think switched from the TIR to the Wide angle helps to blend the colors better and less color separation on the sand. it also has more even light with less shading in the tank.

OP
OP
jpines

jpines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone! Now I just need to find someone to buy my razor! :ballchain:

Reefkraz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be carful with the radion and LPS corals. Some just do not do well under it at all. With SPS you can't go wrong with it. As long as you levels are good you will get crazy growth and some real nice colour

OP
OP
jpines

jpines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be carful with the radion and LPS corals. Some just do not do well under it at all. With SPS you can't go wrong with it. As long as you levels are good you will get crazy growth and some real nice colour

Is this due to "too much" light?

Reefkraz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not totally sure. I had mine down to 30% and I played with every light spectrum and even custom ones. I couldn't get it to work for my LPS. I ended up switching them out to a halide light to get my LPS back. I'm about to set up a new tank this weekend with only SPS and super low nutrient levels and I am going to run the rations again because they are the best light I have ever had for SPS coral

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a decent amount of LPS. I have a larger colony of australian duncans, a green torch and a bunch of acan frags. The only LPS issue I have had with my radions is it turned my rainbow acan that was super bright colors and bright green area and has morphed it into a more red color with no green left and a bit muddier looking.

Reefkraz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That what my issues were. My LPS went from crazy colours to dull colours and the polyps wouldn't extent as much as say a 20k metal halide light

OP
OP
jpines

jpines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah my tank is mainly LPS dominant, and plan to keep it that way. I have 3 pieces of SPS (small frags). Not sure if it's worth risking losing my LPS over it. Anyone else had any different experience with LPS?

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
if it wasnt for the color control of getting the light the exact color I want. i would go back to T5. as I havnt really seen anything fantastic with this radion. my generic Fishneedit T5 fixture I had on it before with ATI bulbs did better as all my corals SPS and LPS had nicer color.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 9 8.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 38 35.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 30.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 26 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back