RB Exo Auto Top Off won't stop pumping

theOgre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I know I'm a newb, but after searching this forum, I could not find the answer to a problem I'm currently having with my Reef Breeders Exo Auto Top Off that I just installed.

I have a ten gallon Innovative Marine desk top aquarium that sits on my desk. It has just gone through four months of cycling and one month with a test coral (Xenia). Every looks okay with minimal algae, so I decided it was time to start up grading. One of things I added was an Exo Auto Top Off from Reef Breeders. I followed all the instructions and installed everything and the second I inserted the power cord, the pump just starts pumping and pumping and pumping. It emptied half of the two gallon reservoir into the tank in under a minute. I took the hose and put it into the reservoir to see if the pump would eventually just turn off after a calibration (or something). Nope.

No, it is still running and it has been over an hour. It is the weekend right now, so there is no customer support at Reef Builders or BRS where I purchased the ATO. Does anyone have an idea about what is going on.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its the optical sensor not sensing the water is where it should be and lets the pump continue to run. How did you install the optical sensor?
Is it completely out of the water?
It should be like half in half out.
It could also be a faulty sensor.....
Pics of ur install?

OP
OP
theOgre

theOgre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
install view.jpg
top view.jpg
Here are those images. When I installed the optical reader, I did as instructed and mounted it halfway through the lens. The images are right after I pulled the hose out of the tank and pointed it into the reservoir. The pump is a good little pump. It has been going for the last two hours, but that doesn't help in this situation.

The light in the image is green, but in reality it is flashing continuously indicating that the pump is continuously pumping.

There is a concern about the glass being too think, but it meets the product specifications (less than .25" and the glass is 6mm or .23").

I know BRS has good customer service. That is why I go with them, but they are closed on the weekends.

-O

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you cleaned the sensor with alcohol, then remount it to a desired water level and let it fill up to the sensor? Vs mounting it half in and half out?

OP
OP
theOgre

theOgre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you cleaned the sensor with alcohol, then remount it to a desired water level and let it fill up to the sensor? Vs mounting it half in and half out?
I discovered what the problem is. They mis-advertised their product. Their BRS ad said my aquarium should have been within specs, but I guess not. This ATO requires thinner than standard glass (less than 5mm glass). I just uninstalled it and will be sending it back to Reef Breeders and will no longer doing business with them.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I discovered what the problem is. They mis-advertised their product. Their BRS ad said my aquarium should have been within specs, but I guess not. This ATO requires thinner than standard glass (less than 5mm glass). I just uninstalled it and will be sending it back to Reef Breeders and will no longer doing business with them.
Dang thats unfortunate.

I use an XP aqua duetto that i like.
Same principle.

Auto aqua is another nano style device you can use.

Alternatively you can check into spectrapure for a different type of sensor

Reefkeeper12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Prism ATO would have worked perfect.

Back