Rbta attempt 2

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I am picking up a new rbta today. I haven't had the best luck with nems. He will be going into my cqt system as he is coming attached to a rock and I don't want to introduce more pests into the dt. Once I know the rock is clean or he moves off I will move to dt. Lights should be off by the time I get it in. I plan on drip acclimating the nem. The set up is a 55 gal with 6 bulb t5. I will start the nem on the bottom of the tank and move up as needed.

Any criticism on this plan or other helpful info please! I want to succeed this time!

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You won't really need to move it. It will move itself if it feels like it doesn't like a certain location. Just make sure it attaches before turning your pumps on so it doesn't get blown away or in to other pumps.

OP
OP
Naiad

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You won't really need to move it. It will move itself if it feels like it doesn't like a certain location. Just make sure it attaches before turning your pumps on so it doesn't get blown away or in to other pumps.
Thank you. I am hoping that adding this nem in the next few weeks when my tank is fishless will help with my success. I have an aggressive clown that I think is part to blame for the other nems demise. This nem is bigger and will hopefully be fully adjusted in the two months I am going fishless. Fingers crossed I don't have some nem munching hitchicker in my tank.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start with a healthy specimen, colorful, sticky tentacles, fully expanded. Tentacles not stubby and short.
There is no need to move the anemone once introduced to the tank unless the anemone is moving towards powerheads, heaters or overflow. As you know the anemone will go where it will. The anemone knows how much light and flow it needs, all you can do is provide adequate lighting and flow and the anemone will move to it's ideal location.
Do not purchase an anemone that is too small for your clown fish..
The anemone and the rock really do not need to go into QT in my opinion. With regard to pest on the rock, you should be able to see any flatworms, aiptasia or nuisance algae. Marine Ich encapsulates, a few days in QT is not going to change that. The anemone is already full of fluid, unless you treat prophylactically (with cipro) any pathogens will be introduced if present regardless of a few days in QT.
I have never drip acclimated an anemone. Match, temp and SG and you should be able to a simple introduction by changing out sm amount of container water with DT water.

Bdog4u2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RBTA are pretty hardy anemones once they get adjusted. Mine was the size of a dime when i got it and my nitrates got over 180 when i moved a bunch of rocks around in my old tank and its never even moved from its spot. Now its the size of a softball and has split 3 times in the 18 months.

OP
OP
Naiad

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start with a healthy specimen, colorful, sticky tentacles, fully expanded. Tentacles not stubby and short.
There is no need to move the anemone once introduced to the tank unless the anemone is moving towards powerheads, heaters or overflow. As you know the anemone will go where it will. The anemone knows how much light and flow it needs, all you can do is provide adequate lighting and flow and the anemone will move to it's ideal location.
Do not purchase an anemone that is too small for your clown fish..
The anemone and the rock really do not need to go into QT in my opinion. With regard to pest on the rock, you should be able to see any flatworms, aiptasia or nuisance algae. Marine Ich encapsulates, a few days in QT is not going to change that. The anemone is already full of fluid, unless you treat prophylactically (with cipro) any pathogens will be introduced if present regardless of a few days in QT.
I have never drip acclimated an anemone. Match, temp and SG and you should be able to a simple introduction by changing out sm amount of container water with DT water.
The reason he is going into qt was that I had planned on having all fish out by today and that way it wouldn't matter if there was ich or what not. Needless to say the fish didn't get the memo. I know that it is added stress having a "layover" in the qt but I don't want to add the nem then have to pull rock to remove the fish if it comes to that. I am clumsy I admit that. The coral qt is actually holding a lot of my non attached corals so that I didn't hurt them in this process.

OP
OP
Naiad

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
49c84dfd3281eb53faa4f60ae0cffa5e.jpg

Here is the nem. He has lost the bubble look but I read that happens sometimes.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, bubble loss is normal. I have some that have beautiful bubbles and some that have no bubbles. goofy.

Looks like a nice bta. Good luck!

OP
OP
Naiad

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is beautiful. I am anxious but know checking every hour won't change things. Tomorrow will let me know how step one of acclimation went. I am just worried it will move into a powerhead...

helen ann

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is beautiful. I am anxious but know checking every hour won't change things. Tomorrow will let me know how step one of acclimation went. I am just worried it will move into a powerhead...
I remember how anxious I was when I put my 2 small nems in my tank ... ugh! :confused:
I set an alarm and was up every hour on the hour with my flash light checking them for 2 nights straight not once did they move from where they were placed originally, guess I found that sweet spot and they didn't feel the need to move.

OP
OP
Naiad

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I will probably check on it several times tonight as well... I can't help it.

helen ann

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I will probably check on it several times tonight as well... I can't help it.
Yep, I got a new rock nem yesterday and was checking all night last night for him to do his walk-a-bout but he didn't and didn't move while I was a work. So will do one more flashlight stalking tonight!:rolleyes:

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the same thing with my LTA. I was so freaked that I could not find it, I tore rock out and was in a panic when it was on the powerhead!!!!! AHHHH! It recovered fine and is now large and happily moving all over the place bothering everything in the tank. Good thing I was looking for it. :)

OP
OP
Naiad

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sooo sleepy... but the nem didn't move lol. Even ate some food that drifted by as I way feeding the lps coral. Speaking of which how often should I give it a squirt? I am thinking mysis would be good as far as not too large.

helen ann

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sooo sleepy... but the nem didn't move lol. Even ate some food that drifted by as I way feeding the lps coral. Speaking of which how often should I give it a squirt? I am thinking mysis would be good as far as not too large.
Yep, sleepy here too! The rock nem didn't move either! :rolleyes:
So, he on his own tonight!

I spot feed my BTAs a mixture of LRF and mini mysis twice a week, they seem to like it!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Naiad

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I fed the nem today. A squirt of the same mix I give the lps so nothing big. It was very reactive and pulled peices in. I did notice it appears to have two mouths. A normal one and a tiny one off to the side. I'll try to get pics of it next time flow is low.

helen ann

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WoooHoooo, nice! Mine pulls the food in and stays all pulled in for like 15 minutes and them back to normal.

2 mouths?! Wonder if is going to split?!?!

OP
OP
Naiad

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WoooHoooo, nice! Mine pulls the food in and stays all pulled in for like 15 minutes and them back to normal.

2 mouths?! Wonder if is going to split?!?!
That's what I was wondering. I hope not as I need a bigger sized nem but I know the stress of moving them can trigger it in these large guys.

helen ann

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I was wondering. I hope not as I need a bigger sized nem but I know the stress of moving them can trigger it in these large guys.
My Rose Tip has decided to go on a walk?!??!?!
He deep inside a rock, can see one little bubble tip just barely!!
Not sure what is up with that, he has been front and center of the tank for a month!!:eek:

OP
OP
Naiad

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Rose Tip has decided to go on a walk?!??!?!
He deep inside a rock, can see one little bubble tip just barely!!
Not sure what is up with that, he has been front and center of the tank for a month!!:eek:
Weird!

Here are the best pics I can get of mines disk

63bcb1e4fb1e9fd48ac9e454a6a8e7de.jpg

df689411f4b2a0ce8082193d0b46e914.jpg

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 93 41.7%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 112 50.2%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.1%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 3.1%
Back