Rbta died, nowhere to be found

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
rbta moved to a place that I cannot find. Coral and anem health have been poor and dropping like flies. Do I tear the tank apart tomorrow looking for it or let it go? Tank is 75 gallon with a 20 sump.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless there’s an ammonia spike, then you may as well just let it go.
I wouldn’t add any until you figure out what’s killing your inverts.

AmaleeC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! Anenomes are notorious for doing whatever they want. Try checking around the rockwork within any crevices. Also check your wavemaker + your overflow if you have one. I’ve heard lots of stories of them getting into the wavemaker and then being shredded to pieces. this could really affect the water chemistry and be a huge factor in why your coral may not be doing well.
However, if your corals aren’t doing well it seems like there an underlying factor here and you may want to figure out why. Now would be a good time to look into a test kit to see what’s wrong. I personally like API for basic things (nitrate, ammonia, nitrite, phosphates) despite the bad rep they have. But Salifert is awesome for Magnesium, calcium, alkalinity, etc. :)

OP
OP
T

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My last parameter check I've had shows SG 1.025, Ca 460, dKh 8.9, Phos 0.02 (hanna), ammonia 0 (red sea). Have not yet picked up NO3 test kit. Tank is relatively new, cycled since January this year, transferred from a 7 year old reef tank that was being taken down. The only major change alk creeped up to 11.9 at one point and I let it slowly drop into the 8s which is my goal range. Numbers have otherwise looked good. Started the tank with real reef dry rocks and bare bottom, dry set up, 1 bottle of bio spira and 1 bottle of brighwell live bacteria 500mL to cycle the tank initially. Tank became very algae heavy in the past few weeks despite numbers looking in appropriate limits. Fish are thankfully doing well for now. Just curious to see how aggressively I need to look for this anemone.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using dry rock and adding an anomone in less than 6-9 months is just a death sentence to them in most cases. Even with live rock they usually will not do well until the tank is 6 months old. A good portion of the threads in the tank emergency forum are about that specifically. There is a big difference between a cycled tank and an established tank. Especially when using dry rock.
If the anemone only recently disappeared, I would look for it. It is likely on the underside of a rock. When you find it either return it or give it to someone with an established tank to care for it until your tank is at least 6 months old. Personally I would wait until it is 9 months old when using dry rock.
Good luck

AmaleeC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using dry rock and adding an anomone in less than 6-9 months is just a death sentence to them in most cases. Even with live rock they usually will not do well until the tank is 6 months old. A good portion of the threads in the tank emergency forum are about that specifically. There is a big difference between a cycled tank and an established tank. Especially when using dry rock.
If the anemone only recently disappeared, I would look for it. It is likely on the underside of a rock. When you find it either return it or give it to someone with an established tank to care for it until your tank is at least 6 months old. Personally I would wait until it is 9 months old when using dry rock.
Good luck
Would you say this applies to rock flower anenomes and mini maxi’s as well?

OP
OP
T

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was a fight to get this rbta but I have it in here now. When do I just toss it? The foot was well attached but when I found it the tentacles were pretty shredded looking and grey. I put it in this jar pending what you all think. I didnt want to lose it again. I also dont want it to wipe the tank if it's on the way out. Probably hard to see through the plastic jar and also I just messed with it for a while using an old credit card to get it loose.

20200406_122201.jpg 20200406_122126.jpg

Intense37754

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Pictures hard to see for me, but could still be alive. Do a search on here for treating them with Cipro

Intense37754

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Try searching only... Cipro too

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you isolate it, it may come back. One of those hang on refugiums work well.

One of my nems we named "Kami" (AKA: Kamikazee) it's tried multiple times to kill itself in powerheads, overflows, etc.. Put it in a hang on refugium (we call it the penalty box) for a couple of weeks and it came back.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fact it was still attached is a good sign. Either return it or give it to someone with an established tank to care for it

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back