RBTA mouth infection????

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started out with one anemone at least 8 months ago, healthy at the time. After a few months it started to split. After the third split I noticed the mouth of the new one was bubbled up. Same issue when it split again a few more times. Over the last few months all the mouths have shown this symptom. Outside this the seem to be doing OK, sitting at the top of the tank without moving much, food color and inflate during the day.

My only thought is maybe some infection. Any thoughts or ideas?

146CE198-93E8-4D94-B38A-F713DBA960E7.jpeg BC4750D4-961F-4B04-94FB-41527A86390A.jpeg 1761913B-1669-4C96-8B14-F66AF06FF8B3.jpeg 8C94790F-0ECB-4093-9637-4F206B92C5C3.jpeg

Thanks for any input.

Digitalfirex

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I started out with one anemone at least 8 months ago, healthy at the time. After a few months it started to split. After the third split I noticed the mouth of the new one was bubbled up. Same issue when it split again a few more times. Over the last few months all the mouths have shown this symptom. Outside this the seem to be doing OK, sitting at the top of the tank without moving much, food color and inflate during the day.

My only thought is maybe some infection. Any thoughts or ideas?

146CE198-93E8-4D94-B38A-F713DBA960E7.jpeg BC4750D4-961F-4B04-94FB-41527A86390A.jpeg 1761913B-1669-4C96-8B14-F66AF06FF8B3.jpeg 8C94790F-0ECB-4093-9637-4F206B92C5C3.jpeg

Thanks for any input.

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I often see mine "bubble" when put into unfavorable conditions or an entirely new system - but they are a completely translucent bubble, more so on the foot than the mouth, and the symptoms subside over time, usually very quickly. This looks a bit different - I'd be curious if you added another bubble tip, red or green, if it showed the symptoms regardless of being part of the mother, or if they are specific to these ones.
Either way, I wouldn't do anything rash unless someone has experience with this, I've never seen anything like that, from one to the other.
Do you notice any reduction in the bubbles size after forming those?
I've spent many years, with thousands of these animals and I find this intriguing!
In the second picture, the one on the right looks to have bubbles next to the mouth - If the bubbles are next to the mouth and form that way over time - then it is just a fairly normal side effect of splitting, but if the mouth remains swollen for many months, that is very odd.
How much flow do they have?

OP
OP
Big C

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I often see mine "bubble" when put into unfavorable conditions or an entirely new system - but they are a completely translucent bubble, more so on the foot than the mouth, and the symptoms subside over time, usually very quickly. This looks a bit different - I'd be curious if you added another bubble tip, red or green, if it showed the symptoms regardless of being part of the mother, or if they are specific to these ones.
Either way, I wouldn't do anything rash unless someone has experience with this, I've never seen anything like that, from one to the other.
Do you notice any reduction in the bubbles size after forming those?
I've spent many years, with thousands of these animals and I find this intriguing!
In the second picture, the one on the right looks to have bubbles next to the mouth - If the bubbles are next to the mouth and form that way over time - then it is just a fairly normal side effect of splitting, but if the mouth remains swollen for many months, that is very odd.
How much flow do they have?

Bubbles stay the same size, they may go down when they deflate at night.

From what I remember some of them formed bubbles after splitting and haven’t subsided. Some had them when they split.

Right now they are in medium to high flow. It’s the spot the first one found after wondering the tank for a weeks when I first put it in. With the bubbles I didn’t want to move them and stress them. I also can’t tone down the gyre much.

Thanks for the help!

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubbles stay the same size, they may go down when they deflate at night.

From what I remember some of them formed bubbles after splitting and haven’t subsided. Some had them when they split.

Right now they are in medium to high flow. It’s the spot the first one found after wondering the tank for a weeks when I first put it in. With the bubbles I didn’t want to move them and stress them. I also can’t tone down the gyre much.

Thanks for the help!
While I don't recommend ever target feeding nems, id be curious what they do or how they consume in this case (just a feeding or two). Maybe try target feeding a small chunk of silverside or shrimp, curious to see the reaction. I imagine it is difficult to consume with that going on.
If their tentacles are not sticky and they aren't eating, something is definitely going on, but at the same time they receive most of their food from the light, so it may not be an immediate issue.

OP
OP
Big C

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I don't recommend ever target feeding nems, id be curious what they do or how they consume in this case (just a feeding or two). Maybe try target feeding a small chunk of silverside or shrimp, curious to see the reaction. I imagine it is difficult to consume with that going on.
If their tentacles are not sticky and they aren't eating, something is definitely going on, but at the same time they receive most of their food from the light, so it may not be an immediate issue.

I feed reef frenzy and notice they have normal feeding responses on larger pieces, sticks to their tentacles and they draw it in. I’ll feed some larger pieces and see what happens.

Back