Rbta question

Kris 2020

Super Active Excellent Well Known Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if a rbta dies in your tank, does it really nuke/poison/kill the tank? What causes this, are they like full of toxins?

I’m asking because I have like 7 of them and my rock is all huge pieces so not easy to just take one or 2 out to sell. i have tried in the past to get them out with all the usual methods but their feet are wayyy down in rock crevices and aside from ticking them off I’ve had no luck. Once years ago I even drained the water down well below their level and left it like that for hours, hoping they would move, or I could get them to release, no luck.

So I won’t mind trying again but I do worry about “Nuking the tank” by accidentally killing one of them, since I know this won’t be a gentle process. Thoughts?

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it’s doesn’t actually kill the whole tank...I’ve had sick nems die in a nano (20 gallon) and cause no problems.
Is it possible to take out the rock the nems are on ?

OP
OP
Kris 2020

Kris 2020

Super Active Excellent Well Known Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it’s doesn’t actually kill the whole tank...I’ve had sick nems die in a nano (20 gallon) and cause no problems.
Is it possible to take out the rock the nems are on ?
Well, in my last tank I got tired of rock avalanches from having lots of smaller rocks. So with this tank, all my rockwork is 3 giant rocks held together very securely. So to remove any rock, I would have to lift out ALL the rock. Not gonna happen.

IMG_4036.JPG

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, in my last tank I got tired of rock avalanches from having lots of smaller rocks. So with this tank, all my rockwork is 3 giant rocks held together very securely. So to remove any rock, I would have to lift out ALL the rock. Not gonna happen.

IMG_4036.JPG
Bummer. I would try pointing a power head at the to get them to move

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 120 58.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 30.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 74 36.1%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 34 16.6%
  • Other

Votes: 61 29.8%
Back