RBTA Struggling to Bounce Back

eraserhead187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

I am running a 34 gallon biocube reef, all LPS and softies, with a pair of stubby maroon clowns hosting a RBTA. The nem was doing awesome, and the clowns were thrilled with it. Then the dreaded bubbly snot showed up and got kind of bad. I managed to keep it in check enough that I didn't have any losses except some snails. Microscopic identification confirmed Ostreopsis ovatus. The nem, understandably, started to shrink down and not look nearly as lovely. I started a multiple pronged attack on the dinos, including sucking it out, a few blackouts, peroxide dosing, heavier feedings to increase nutrients, and some of that Vibrant stuff, 1ml/10gal 2x a week. It helped, then I added UV sterilization and the Ostreopsis is gone. However, I do have some amphidinium now, but it isn't too widespread. It pretty much disappears at night and then slowly builds back to very mild levels during the photoperiod. The coral is all looking fine, except my duncan and torch which are making slower recoveries, but there is progress, particularly with the torch. We all know how Duncan's are, and its still alive, but I guess that can take some kind for it to find its mojo again.

The nem really hasn't bounced back terribly well though. Before this all went down, he was probably about 6 or more inches in diameter, nice thick tentacles, and ate well. I am sure the toxins produced by the dinos did a number on it. He had a nice spot that he liked about 2/3 or the way to the bottom of the tank, but when I added some flow to decrease dead spots, he got upset and moved to a stupid spot where he wasn't getting (in my opinion) enough light. I've bonked him with a piece of metal to get him to detach, and relocated him to spots where I think he will be happier, but when the lights go out he moved on his own and finds some stupid spot that can't possibly be good for him.

My nutrients are still a bit elevated, and I plan on keeping it that way for some time to prevent a dino explosion, until I am pretty certain that I have them beaten for the long term. Is there anything I can do to make my nem happier, or is he just going to have to deal with it for months or longer, until I can feel comfortable reducing my nutrient levels? Do nems even care about that?

Here are params, etc

Tank up for about a year
pH 8.15
Alk 10.5
NH3 0
No2 0
No3 50
Po4 0.06
Ca 440
Mg 1490
Salinity 1.024

Testing using all Salifert kits, except PO4- Have a Hanna for that, also refractometer.
Lighting: Steve'sLED upgraded Biocube LED system
Flow: Regular return pump, W-10 wavemaker, JUST ADDED IceCap 1k gyre
Shallow sand bed @ 2"
Skimmer, etc.
Sometimes running purigen and GFO, but not in reactor. No room.

Thanks guys!

OP
OP
eraserhead187

eraserhead187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For reference, here are a few pics. I don't have any of the nem when it was as big as it got, but you can clearly see the difference between back then and now. He picked that lousy spot in the back under the gyre.
20171122_101758.jpg
20180409_121729.jpg

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you're willing to setup a temporary for the Nem, not really sure what kind of advice you're looking for. The biggest key to keeping Nems is stability. Clearly you have not had that and as such it's probably not going to appear happy or start recovering until you do.

OP
OP
eraserhead187

eraserhead187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I’m asking is if anybody has any tips for helping him find the best possible flow and lighting zone, and if there is any type of food or feeding schedule that is particularly nutritious. I have been trying to feed a piece of silverside once a week or so, but it had been hit or miss for a while if he would accept it. He took a decent sized piece today, with a little assistance. He doesn’t have the surface area or tentacles right now to quickly capture and consume a very large piece. Plus, I have to fight off my cleaner shrimp or they will rip the food right out of his mouth. If he doesn’t want to move to a better lit area, will frequent feedings get him what he needs to grow?

The base parameters have actually been pretty stable other than the increased nitrates. I run a full panel of tests at least 3 times a week, and there is very little variation. Its hard to imagine that there is still much toxin from the dinos in the water column, considering the purigen and gfo, and a few water changes. Trying not to go crazy on the WCs since that tends to blow up dinos, from what I have read. Just looking for some quick anemone growth tips, if such a thing exists.

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one BTA that looks like that also..after almost die-ing for an unknow reason...short stubby tentacles 1/3 it's original size...will it ever recover to its original look ? or will it stay a stubby little freak from now on ?

OP
OP
eraserhead187

eraserhead187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update, I have been increasing feedings, and he is slowly but surely perking up. I'm feeding twice a week currently.

Lisa Cain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one BTA that looks like that also..after almost die-ing for an unknow reason...short stubby tentacles 1/3 it's original size...will it ever recover to its original look ? or will it stay a stubby little freak from now on ?
The same thing happened to one of mine. Has your recovered?

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smaller feedings more frequently may help. Something like Mysis will suffice. Anemones will plant their foot where they feel the most comfortable at the time. Slowly but surely he will move himself back out. Like stated above, just keep the tank stable. The more stability the better.

OP
OP
eraserhead187

eraserhead187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, been doing mysids. A decent squirt from a baster and a little tickle to close him up (so my ********* cleaner shrimp don't steal his food) a few times a week. He's continued to show more tentacles and more extension towards the light.

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I have found giving the shrimp his own larger piece of food helps with that. Usually on the opposite end of the tank.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 30.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back