RBTA - Torch growing closer... Should I be worried?

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a green torch coral that's been happily growing under a ledge for several years now. Above, a family of rainbow bubble tip anemones. Started with one small one, I think there's 5 now, and 'small' is no longer a word I'd use to describe them.

Anyway, RBTA's are growing, Torch is growing... if their tips aren't touching at this point, I'd be surprised.

Haven't taken any photos lately, here's an older one... They're much closer together these days. Maybe I'll get a shot, after the lights come on today.

I've not noticed either the nems or the torch showing any negative effects... so far... Just not sure if I should be worried or not.

Just wondering, should I try and move the torch? Hate to do that... He's been happy and growing in that little hole for years. On the other hand, moving the nem colony isn't really an option :D

Reef2.jpg

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It doesn't look like the nems are on assault mode. If anything, maybe redirect water flow if the torch shows sweepers. In your current picture, it just looks very happy. I'd leave it be.

Also, a current pic would be awesome to see!

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I've got a green torch coral that's been happily growing under a ledge for several years now. Above, a family of rainbow bubble tip anemones. Started with one small one, I think there's 5 now, and 'small' is no longer a word I'd use to describe them.

Anyway, RBTA's are growing, Torch is growing... if their tips aren't touching at this point, I'd be surprised.

Haven't taken any photos lately, here's an older one... They're much closer together these days. Maybe I'll get a shot, after the lights come on today.

I've not noticed either the nems or the torch showing any negative effects... so far... Just not sure if I should be worried or not.

Just wondering, should I try and move the torch? Hate to do that... He's been happy and growing in that little hole for years. On the other hand, moving the nem colony isn't really an option :D

Reef2.jpg
I don't have any input as far as the safety of the torch, I just wanna say it's GORGEOUS!

OP
OP
Greybeard

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't get the chance until this evening. If the current were blowing the right way, they'd touch.

You can also see my latest RBTA clone, down in the shadows to the left of the torch. I think that's 6 now. I keep hoping one will take off across the sand so I can catch it out and loose, but so far, they stay on that one island. Got a couple people who would love to have one, if I could catch it without injury.

RBTA-Torch-110321.jpg

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bta and torch are sitting 2-3 inches from each other with no known Ill effects. I would imagine the BTA would just move it got stung

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
99.9 % nem will back off once stung,99.9% torch will be fine.
if a spot suitable ,move torch, it may be even happier off sand bed.

OP
OP
Greybeard

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback!

99.9 % nem will back off once stung,99.9% torch will be fine.
if a spot suitable ,move torch, it may be even happier off sand bed.

This is the _only_ torch I've ever had any luck with. He's been right there, under that ledge, for several years, and has grown to several times his original size. Seems quite happy there, and I don't want to move him if I don't have to.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't get the chance until this evening. If the current were blowing the right way, they'd touch.

You can also see my latest RBTA clone, down in the shadows to the left of the torch. I think that's 6 now. I keep hoping one will take off across the sand so I can catch it out and loose, but so far, they stay on that one island. Got a couple people who would love to have one, if I could catch it without injury.

RBTA-Torch-110321.jpg
See this sticky for how to easily get BTAs removed from your tank without hurting them. From experience, torch will run off a BTA if it wants to. I have had them melt BTA tents and then had them live side by side with no issues. Not sure why, but can only guess space being taken that the torch wanted being the issue.

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See this sticky for how to easily get BTAs removed from your tank without hurting them. From experience, torch will run off a BTA if it wants to. I have had them melt BTA tents and then had them live side by side with no issues. Not sure why, but can only guess space being taken that the torch wanted being the issue.

fire up the Nem Cannon!

Arego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leave em alone they'll sort it out. We have had nems touching everything at one point in time. They'll scoot over or just deal with it.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 60 42.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 68 48.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.6%
Back