RBTA walking towards Venturi nozzle!!!

Rag Gnar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my RBTA split, and he is walking straight towards my return venturi nozzle (400+ gph estimated)

dont have time to search threads
w1kItnp.jpg

do they naturally know to stay away from something that might kill them? or is it only impellers/props that "blend" nems?
I have tried to lightly suggest he crawl a new direction but he continues to walk towards it!
any help is appreciated.

Freaking out in CO,
SC

OP
OP
Rag Gnar

Rag Gnar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update
the nem did indeed end up getting sucked into the venturi. Took some time to get it out but relocated it to a rock , where it then headed to the sand is is sitting there looking not so great.
While trying to get it out of the nozzle I didnt see any damage to the foot, but then again am no expert. will keep updated for others learning purposes.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my RBTA split, and he is walking straight towards my return venturi nozzle (400+ gph estimated)

dont have time to search threads
w1kItnp.jpg

do they naturally know to stay away from something that might kill them? or is it only impellers/props that "blend" nems?
I have tried to lightly suggest he crawl a new direction but he continues to walk towards it!
any help is appreciated.

Freaking out in CO,
SC

You can relax. It's just the return. If it was a power head, I'd share your stress. LOL

OP
OP
Rag Gnar

Rag Gnar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your return nozzle isn't pushing water out?
it is, about 400+ gph (estimated)
the nozzle is actually an eductor, venturi is the effect, so I apologize for the confusion.
It is a vented nozzle. Like as a syphon, the moving water (return), syphons surrounding water through the nozzle, and this increases the volume to about 400% of the original output.
The nem got sucked into two of these "vents"
(I am sure I am botching fluid dynamics, but you get the general gist)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 127 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back