RBTA's spawning- anyone with experience?

tigé21v

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the first time (that I've noticed anyway), my rbta's spawned the other night.

Anyone have first-hand experience? How about a successful spawn (offspring)?

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RBTA do spawn in fact. The do both split and spawn. Unfortunately to my knowledge none have ever come from spawning in captivity.

In fact @melev shot this footage 7yrs ago of an event.

OP
OP
tigé21v

tigé21v

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RBTA do spawn in fact. The do both split and spawn. Unfortunately to my knowledge none have ever come from spawning in captivity.

In fact @melev shot this footage 7yrs ago of an event.

I came across that while I was searching for info.. Which, there seems to be very little of, and leads me to believe you are correct, no successful captive spawns.
It was still kind cool to see though.
I found it interesting that it seemed all the rbta's were on the same page, and spawned at the same time. It's hard to wrap one's head around how this group effort happens.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not only do they both split and spawn, I recently saw on Marc Levenson's site(melevsreef) that he actually predicted when his was about to spawn.
I think it happened during a full moon, but I don't think it's every full moon.
I'll see if I can find the link or info, or check his page, he also has a FB page where it was posted.
I've been keeping anemone's many years, but I've never personally had any of mine spawn that I'm aware of anyway.

Last edited:

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not only do they both split and spawn, I recently saw on Marc Levenson's site(melevsreef) that he actually predicted when his was about to spawn.
I think it happened during a full moon, but I don't think it's every full moon.
I'll see if I can find the link or info, or check his page, he also has a FB page where it was posted.
I've been keeping anemone's many years, but I've never personally had any of mine spawn that I'm aware of anyway.

Mine spawn under the darkness of night during a full moon as well. Will have to read that article. [emoji4]

OP
OP
tigé21v

tigé21v

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine spawn under the darkness of night during a full moon as well. Will have to read that article. [emoji4]
Mine happened this past Tuesday, after the daylights were off, but the actinic were still on. I don't think the moon had anything to do with it in my case. And I haven't really made any changes, so no clue what set them off.
When I first looked at the tank, and saw it looked like someone poured a quart of milk in it, I had no clue what was going on.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back