Re-aquascaping question

bennycbenny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I removed a large rock from my tank (was in there for about a year). It probably consisted of half of my aqua scape. I then broke it into pieces and re scaped it. It was out of my tank for about a week so I’m assuming the beneficial bacteria died? Can I just add that rock back in? Should I rinse it or anything first? (With tap water or RO)

Just want to make sure I’m not missing anything (like nitrite spike or something) from adding that rock back in.

Thanks!!

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd think you have some die off in there. You might want to bleach, rinse and soak in Seachem Prime or similar. I would still be cautious and add back a piece or so at a time depending upon how big to be sure nothing gets shocked.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is the tank? Sounds small if one rock was a majority.

I would be soaking it for a week and taking a scrub brush to it daily with a water change.. I've hit rock with a power washer as well to remove old external die off.

OP
OP
bennycbenny

bennycbenny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is the tank? Sounds small if one rock was a majority.

I would be soaking it for a week and taking a scrub brush to it daily with a water change.. I've hit rock with a power washer as well to remove old external die off.
It was a pretty large piece all glued together. The tank is 55 gal with 15 gal sump. What should I soak it in? RO water? And scrub the rock daily and then do a water change on it at the end? Or water change on the rock water daily?

also it’s a pretty long piece now, so might be tricky to find a bucket that will hold it…. Thanks for the response!!

OP
OP
bennycbenny

bennycbenny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd think you have some die off in there. You might want to bleach, rinse and soak in Seachem Prime or similar. I would still be cautious and add back a piece or so at a time depending upon how big to be sure nothing gets shocked.
Got it. Thanks! What’s the point of the bleach? To kill the die off?

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was a pretty large piece all glued together. The tank is 55 gal with 15 gal sump. What should I soak it in? RO water? And scrub the rock daily and then do a water change on it at the end? Or water change on the rock water daily?

also it’s a pretty long piece now, so might be tricky to find a bucket that will hold it…. Thanks for the response!!
In my opinion it's already dead so no real use in soaking in salt initially. The soaking is really just a soften the organics you were then going to be trying to scrub away. There is going to be a lot caught inside.

That's a pretty decent water volume, So long as you have enough active bacteria in the tank to deal with the ammonia from the die off.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back