• Total voters

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1654024186791.png

Just looking for a plan of action. At the end of March I got a couple Percula clowns from my LFS, presumably from the same clutch, and they were itty-bitty, maybe an inch. They were alone in a 15g, and one appeared to take on the dominate role (the darker/misbar colored), perhaps biting at the other. The ever-so-slightly smaller one took to doing the shimmy occasionally but ultimately they didn't sleep together or hang out much and I didn't get the sense they were paired.

Unfortunately, I have now found the subtly-submissive one dead (traditional color). I don't have any idea why, I was gone for a few days (had someone feeding tank everyother day) and it just kicked the bucket. Does not appear to be disease or attack, but who knows.

Question: Is it likely that the remaining fish has begun it's transformation to female? It is still barely 1" in length. I ask because it could be difficult to find a replacement that is truly smaller, and from what is currently available are same/larger.

Just a gamble? I obviously would like to succeed in getting a pair established rather than having a UFC fight.

Wondering if I have to wait until the remainder gets larger, but worried it will become established and kill new-comers.

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From March till now it should’ve been enough time for one of the clowns to turn female. Hence why one of them was more dominant, I would give them 2 weeks after death and add new clownfish smaller than the one you have in now and introduce in isolation box to make sure to monitor aggression at the beginning. It’s worked wonders for re-pairing a black storm I had paired up with a midnight clownfish that unfortunately didn’t make it due to a very aggressive angelfish and I was able to save the black storm now she’s paired up again with a naked clown just gave them some time before re-introducing

OP
OP
Beau_B

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, kinda confirmed my suspicions.

Any other opinions?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 132 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back