Re using old rock

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I have rock that came with my big tank used. I took it out since I wanted more arches and stuff and never got around to doing anything with the rock. Its been outside in the weather for a year or so now. Wondering if I can salvage it and and use it??

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I have rock that came with my big tank used. I took it out since I wanted more arches and stuff and never got around to doing anything with the rock. Its been outside in the weather for a year or so now. Wondering if I can salvage it and and use it??

How old is it? If it’s 2-3 billion years old it’s fine. If it’s closer to 6 billion years old I would probably toss it or at least give it a good looking over.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is it? If it’s 2-3 billion years old it’s fine. If it’s closer to 6 billion years old I would probably toss it or at least give it a good looking over.
Lol it was in the tank for 4 years before I got the tank. Then been dry and out in the weather for a year

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, don't boil it though.
10% bleach solution, let it soak for a few days. Nothing will be alive, but it will get rid of the residual organics. Rinse, then soak in some RODI with declor. Then transfer to a SW bucket and cycle it with some shrimp.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any chance the rock has absorbed pesticides or other chemicals that would be toxic to saltwater creatures? If so toss it.

If not, a short duration treatment with muriatic acid, would dissolve the outer p, dirty surface of the rock . If muriatic acid seems risky, a longer treatment in vinegar or citric acid would do a similar job.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any chance the rock has absorbed pesticides or other chemicals that would be toxic to saltwater creatures? If so toss it.

If not, a short duration treatment with muriatic acid, would dissolve the outer p, dirty surface of the rock . If muriatic acid seems risky, a longer treatment in vinegar or citric acid would do a similar job.
No its just been on my back porch, no chemicals out there just the elements

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not but that is just me. Don't like taking chances

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. Rinsed them in RO and put them in! Corals are a little ticked but I think they will be happier with the more room the rocks gave them!

Attachments

• IMG_5068.jpeg
    IMG_5068.jpeg
    267.6 KB · Views: 12

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 55 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 9.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back