Reached Milestones of N:P 0-0, but miles to go

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some reefers don’t realize just how low .03 ppm of PO4 actually is. I’ll illustrate just how low it is with a video. This was when my tank was only a few months old, and it was quite obvious corals we’re fixing to check out. I couldn’t get the phosphate up manually and my pump wasn’t online yet. I did loose two Acro’s in .03 ppm PO4, but was able to save the others.

Every tank is different and in older established systems corals can survive on residual’s at depleted levels, but it’s not ideal. There’s so many variables that dictate how well the corals will do at lower levels. Most of it depends on the age of the system and nutrition available to the corals.

If you have massive Acro colonies in active growth spurt’s, you will almost always see the nutrients dip very low or even at zero levels on home test kits. In many situations that is not the case. Our test kits can only detect inorganic Phosphate. If that reefer sends off an ICP… you’ll always see some nutrients available in the system. Corals cannot live without phosphate.

Don’t give yourself headaches especially in the beginning. Give the corals what they want and need.

Target at least 3-10 NO3 and .03-0.1 PO4. Your corals will thank you later.

Good Advise !!! :cool:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back