Reaction & Questions (The Avant-Garde Marine Aquarist)

Have you read Paul B’s book

• Total voters

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Paul B Hey Paul,

I read your book over the last couple days. First off, wanted to let you know I throughly enjoyed it and gained lots of knowledge throughout the entire book.

Was hoping you could clarify one major thing for me. When it comes to adding fish oil to dry foods, how do you decide what volume and how long to soak pellets for example. I have a quarantine tank only because my main DT is not in breeding form yet as it is only close to 2 years old.

That being said, I’m trying to feed my four fish in QT white worms, clam shavings, mysis shrimp and a few different form of pellets.

Back to my main questions, Once you stab a fish oil tablet do you use the entire liquid for soaking pellets for that one feeding? How long do you let the pellets soak in the fish oil?

Thank you again for your time & an enjoyable read along the way!

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning. I actually found this thread by accident. If you want to feed pellets, as I wrote n my book I would put fish oil on them. To do that I would take about 20 pellets and put them in a square plastic container.
Tilt it so they all go to one corner and put about 2 drops of oil on them. Shake it around so the oil gets on everything and let it sit for an hour or more.

If you don't let it sit to soak in, it will leave an oil slick on your water as some of the oil will float off.

But if you have live worms and clams to feed, you don't really need pellets as the worms and clams are healthier.
I just add oil if I had to feed pellets because I don't believe any dry food is as good as frozen. But thats just me. ;)

You also found out throughout my book that I don't like quarantine and feel that is the worst thing us Geezers invented before we knew better. :)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back