Reactor question

hydroskillet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm working on getting my nitrates a little more stable in my 60 cube, and no issues with over levels. This isn't my first reef by any means, but so much newer equipment than when I last did mine from 1998-2008. Currrent setup is about 4 months old, and I kick started it with some established live rock very early. LPS and softies are doing great. Bio load is fairly small and is just 5 fish. I do weekly water changes of 8%. Make my own RODI and no measurable TD. Sump is probably about another 10-15 gal.

Looking at some reactors and I'm really having a hard time deciding on a reactor type for this as I didn't use one previously.

Any tips on Biopellet vs other media reactors and types of media? I was about to pull the trigger on a Reef Octopus br110 with a 1000gph DC pump with some Dr Tim's pellets, but I figured I'd reach out here first.

Thanks in advance!!

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sump?

I have a couple TLF 150's that get used for GFO on a as-needed basis. Although some don't care for them I find them to be easy to set up and use. One of them is almost 30 years old and works as good today as it did when new. I also have a couple of BRS single reactors that are set up with reverse flow that get used for carbon running 24/7/365, one on my DT, the other on my FT. Good price point, easy to use, pretty much bulletproof.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your current no3 and po4 levels?
I use a small amount of carbon dosing by hand daily to keep no3 5-10 and po4 .02-.06 on my 120.
Much easier to control than a bio pellet reactor, imo.
I do use a small aquamax, 1 cup, reactor for rox 0.8.

OP
OP
hydroskillet

hydroskillet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sump is just a 3 chamber with a filter sock.

Levels aren't horrible but not great. NO3 is in mid to high 30s, PO4 is about .06-.09.

So not terrible, and a lot is just newer tank stuff. Im thinking it just needs a little extra help past water changes (which i did daily a couple weeks ago @ 5% for a week) which is why I was considering the reactor.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked about a sump because it's the perfect place to stash things like the reactors. When I do use one of my TLF's, I hang it on the inside of the sump so that if there is a leak for whatever reason it leaks into the sump, not the wife's living roomo_O The BRS reactors connect using John Guest style fitting so the chance of one of them leaking is pretty much nil.

Nitrates are easily removed via water changes. The PO4 could be leeching from the rocks, or maybe a product of overfeeding. Try cutting back on the feeding and monitor to see if the PO4 starts to fall. If not, then perhaps a little GFO is in order. If you do go that route, start with, at most, 1/2 the suggested amount. Stripping too much too fast will have an adverse effect on many corals.

OP
OP
hydroskillet

hydroskillet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah... Water changes don't seem to be cutting it. I'll start with a small amount of GFO / carbon. Already have cut back on the feeding too for a few weeks. You're probably right about the rocks.

With the placement I'm going to try to fit it in the main large chamber from the return, if not then I'll make a mount over the sump. I once had a hang on that leaked and was a total mess. Never again haha.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back